ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

Setup an AP to terminate on home ADSL and office network

Hi all, we have 99% remote access points on customer sites connected by WAN link, all terminate to the IP of our controllers no prob. We run the latest 5.0.4.1 code, we have AP system profiles for "internal" and external (firewall). We provision the APs with the IP of the controllers IP for WAN use and for home ADSL, we put in the firewall IP and use APSP for external firewall IP in the LMS field.

This all works 100% no prob, however(!) we want an AP to be able to terminal both within our network (WAN) and from home ADSL! I tried putting both controller IP and firewall in the LMS and when provisioning but no joy. Any ideas? Or does he need two APS??

James
Aruba Employee

Re: Setup an AP to terminate on home ADSL and office network

Unless your external IP address is also internally reachable, you'll need to continue using two different AP system profiles to distinguish between internal and external. The controller doesn't have a mechanism for understanding that an AP is connected internally vs externally, so whatever Master/LMS data is provided to it needs to be reachable regardless of where the AP connects.
Frequent Contributor II

Ok thanks for that, I will define the second AP with another AP Group and thus, our internal AP System Profile. We can lable them internal & external. Thanks. :)

Frequent Contributor II

Its been suggested I could use a DNS record internally to point to one IP and then an external record to point to another. Just testing. :D
Aruba Employee

That would work as well. The trick is, you need different DNS views or completely separate DNS zones so that different address information is offered for the same host record, based on where the AP connects. The AP needs to always going to ask for "controller.foo.com" (or whatever hostname you give it), so DNS needs to be smart enough to know that when the AP is connected internally, it responds that "controller.foo.com" is actually 1.2.3.4, but when the AP is connected externally, it responds that "controller.foo.com" is actually 10.10.10.1.

It's doable, but the complexity will depend on how/where DNS administration is done within your organization.

Frequent Contributor II

I've been told by networks they do this for other devices, we have requested the external dns and the internal is already done and in place. We used a cryptic one of course. I sused out the LMS IP thing, I had to lower the time out from 600 (sec?) to 30 sec and it then latched onto the backup. I tried swaping nother internal and external around and it worked each time. :D
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: