ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Spanning tree issues

We've been having some problems with spanning tree. I thought it was working in our environment before 3.4, but I could be wrong since I haven't tested it in a few months.

Here is our setup - each controller has 2 uplink interfaces, each one is connected to a cisco 3750 directly. Status is up/up on both connections. If I take the primary link down, the secondary link should take over. On the 3750 it says the topology has changed and spanning tree is working, however I physically have to unplug the secondary interface on the aruba and plug it back in, in order to get network, even though the interface is up/up.

I tested to make sure my 3750s were working with spanning tree by putting in a cisco 3500xl with the same spanning tree configuration as the arubas and spanning tree works fine there. It takes around 30 seconds to switch interfaces, but at least it's working. I've talked to numerous people in tech support, but they aren't sure why it's not working.

Anyone have any ideas?
Guru Elite

My Suggestion...

GWilliams,

My suggestion...and not everyone will agree... is to disable spanning tree entirely on the Aruba Controller. Aruba does not support any flavor of PVST, anyway so if you dual-connect it, even on different VLANs to another switch it will probabably disable one of the ports. If you disable spanning tree globally on the Aruba Controller, you allow your infrastructure switch to do whatever STP it supports. You will then simplify your spanning tree implementation.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Re: Spanning tree issues

Hello,

if you have the controller connected to only on 3750 or a stacked 3750 the best Solution is to use a Linkaggregate, i mean. With this design you does not need Spanning Tree Protokol and by the way the convergence time is reduce to a minimum.

Best Regards

if you have the controller connected to only on 3750 or a stacked 3750 the best Solution is to use a Linkaggregate, i mean. With this design you does not need Spanning Tree Protokol and by the way the convergence time is reduce to a minimum.

I haven't worked much with link aggregation, but what if the core switch goes down? Aren't both links then not connected?

Thanks Collin, I'll give that a try.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: