ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Suggested firmware upgrade

Hi, I am using aruba3200's with 3.3.2.23. What would be the suggested upgrade path? Keep with 3.3 or go to 3.4/5 ?

thx jason
Occasional Contributor I

Benefits vs needs

I think it comes down to analyzing the features/functionality you need along with licensing and user count considerations.

The older OS platforms (3.x) only support 1/4 of the total number of users that OS5 does. So, for example, a 3200 running OS5 can support 2,048 users simultaneously, whereas the same controller running 3.x can only support 512 users.

If you're facing a growing user population or deploying multiple SSID's for different user communities this can be a very compelling reason to upgrade.

Another reason to upgrade may be because you want to integrate with an existing property management system.

I *believe* (please confirm) that the licensing schema changes so that PEF is by AP and not by user session count.

There are many new features that make supporting wireless VoIP much nicer as well.

If you have a mix of older controllers (800/6000) then OS5 is simpler to deploy as there is only 1 OS image to use for all platforms (including 3xxx).

Ideally, I believe it is better to upgrade than not, but it really does come down to your organizations functional end goals for wireless, and any capital restrictions that may arise in the event your licensing levels have to be increased.

Just be aware that if you're going to upgrade you will need to upgrade your Airwave Management System to Version 7 so that it can recognize AOS 5. The AOS 3.x->5 upgrade is relatively painless compared to the headaches of upgrading from 2.x->3.x. As a side note, all of the new enhanced AOS 5 features that would impact your existing 3.x configuration are turned off by default.

Hope that helps!

-Burhan
Aruba Employee

Re: Suggested firmware upgrade

"So, for example, a 3200 running OS5 can support 2,048 users simultaneously, whereas the same controller running 3.x can only support 512 users."

a 3200 running AOS 3.4.2.x can support 2,048 users simultaneously.
Occasional Contributor I

tech support

This one was a bit confusing for us, and we got multiple answers from Aruba on this one.

Aruba Tac said what you said originally, our CSE told us another. We didn't think that the OS version should matter, but according to our CSE (and now Aruba Tac in writing) that code optimizations in OS5 allow for us to achieve this higher number, and that previous versions of OS can only connect 1/4 the number of users that OS5 can.

The truth of the matter is, you can't really stop at an Aruba OS number for too long otherwise you'll be stuck running an unsupported OS. Organizations who failed to endure the pain of 2.x->3.x are now stuck with a legacy OS that may not meet their needs and isn't supported anymore.

I think with Aruba, it's not a case of "should I upgrade?" but one of "when do I upgrade"?
Aruba Employee

Personally, I felt 5.0 was too young to make a jump to so we upgraded to 3.4.2.x. When features like spectrum analysis comes along in future releases we'll probably make the jump, but not until something really compelling like that comes along.
Contributor I

We're at 3.4.2 also. I took a look at the readme and 5.0.0.1 notes. Just for reference, the "readme.txt" file is actually "Please Note.txt" I had some trouble finding the file on my pc.... (Someone tell the person that names files to keep the display an download names the same...)

There may be some substantial issues currently in 5.0.0.1 that you need to consider including running sh tech under certain circumstances.

One I saw origanlly but can't find now was a note saying that 124/125 APs must use eth 0 or 1 (I don't remember which) and the other interface would not work.
A major bummer if you did not use the right one on install and have hundreds about in ceilings.
Contributor I

We're at 3.4.2 also. I took a look at the readme and 5.0.0.1 notes. Just for reference, the "readme.txt" file is actually "Please Note.txt" I had some trouble finding the file on my pc.... (Someone tell the person that names files to keep the display an download names the same...)

There may be some substantial issues currently in 5.0.0.1 that you need to consider including running sh tech under certain circumstances.

One I saw originally but can't find now was a note saying that 124/125 APs must use eth 0 or 1 (I don't remember which) and the other interface would not work.
A major bummer if you did not use the right one on install and have hundreds about in ceilings.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: