ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Sync Local Controller with Master Internal User DB

We have 2 3400 controllers, master-local relationship.

For our 802.1X enforce machine authentication WLAN, we make use of adding the MAC address of non-windows devices into the Internal DB of the Master controller to allow them to pass Machine Authentication check.

Most APs are terminated to Master controller, and fail over to local-controller in the case of a controller failure.

By default, the local controller uses the master's Internal DB in authentication, but in case of master controller failure, any Internal DB authentication is also unavailable.

How can I effectively sync the Aruba Master internal db with the local controller internal database?

ArubaOS 6.1.x
Guru Elite

Re: Sync Local Controller with Master Internal User DB

The db is not synched between the master and the local. You might want to introduce a backup master controller to deal with this specific issue, or promote the local to a backup master.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I see the the only Internal DB sync would require an export/import of the Internal db...

I never used a backup master controller.
Is that a viable option in a 2 controller setup?

Instead of making the 2nd controller a local , make it the backup master?
Guru Elite

I see the the only Internal DB sync would require an export/import of the Internal db...

I never used a backup master controller.
Is that a viable option in a 2 controller setup?

Instead of making the 2nd controller a local , make it the backup master?

Yes, you would do that. In a 2 controller setup, the controllers would have to share a layer2 connection and have a VRRP that the access points connect to. Only one controller would be active at a time, but the local database can be synched using the "database synchronize" function.

Please see chater 5 of the Validated Reference Guide here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/VRD_Campus_Networks.pdf

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

thanks for your help

sync controllers

Why not setup your controllers as master and local and terminate half of your AP's to each one and in the event of a failure of either all AP'sa and clients failover to the controller that is up
Guru Elite

That is because the internal database can only exist on one controller, outside of a master/backup master relationship.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: