ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

TX Power 5GHz vs 2.4

Is it a common practice to deploy 5 GHz radios at a higher gain than 2.4 GHz to make up for the increased attenuation in that band?

After performing a site survey the 5 GHz looks, as you would expect with equal power settings, to provide much less coverage that 2.4.

I am also seeing less overall coverage than I expected after ARM powered down the access points. I set my survey gear low to make up for the changes, but the EIRP I am getting is quite low. Is 9 or 12 really a valid Tx EIRP for a well placed AP? Wouldn't that equate to 8mW and 16mW respectively? Is that not quite low for an access point in an enterprise deployment?

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Re: TX Power 5GHz vs 2.4

Without seeing the data, ap separation, wall materials, etc it's hard to tell. You can, as needed, set a minimum tx power in the radio's ARM profile if you'd like. ARM works by listening to nearby APs on the same channel ad based on the coverage index and the interference index will set some power. It's not unusual to see APs in the 9-12 range in a dense deployment for regular WLAN client coverage. if you need more coverage to address specific client issues (phones, etc) you can. There are multiple VRDs on the Technology Design Guides section of the Aruba web page that has A LOT of good info on this topic.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/design_guides.php
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find your AP's hitting the min? I realize it may be deployment specific but what do you set your min to? Do you usually set 5 higher than 2.4?

Thanks.

You posted in my update, and I was in the middle of a call and edited the original post.

I do see, in some cases the AP set to the minimum. This usually happens when APs are deployed in hallways and APs see themselves well down the halls, but coverage drops in the rooms where the coverage is needed. I personally like to make the power match what the typical clients are. Usually around 14-15dB, and I will set the min to 12-14 and the max to 17-18. But every site is 'special'. heh
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
New Contributor

Thanks, I will check out some more of the VRD's. I was hoping for a but more than an RTFM on setting the power for 5gig higher though, was that a yes?
MVP

Caveman,

Yes, it can be appropriate to have the 5GHz radio configured to be higher power than 2.4GHz. For instance, we widely use two profiles with min|max set to 6-15 for 2.4GHz and 9-18 for 5GHz.
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
New Contributor

Ryan,

I appreciate the advice. It seems that would be a common practice. I also appreciate your sample power settings.

Thanks!
Cave
MVP

I should qualify that my sample config was from 3.3 and represents tx_power. On 3.4 or 5.0, add 3dBm to account for the EIRP config.
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: