ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

UK Upgrade 800s to ArubaOS 3.3 now one locked to Restricted US mode

We originality purchased a Aruba 800 from the USA that hade a version of ArubaOS 2.5 that allowed us to select GB as the country code.

Then we upgraded and purchased a second controller this time from a UK supplier with ArubaOS 2.5 and ran this in local mode with the original as the master.

Now we have a 3400 from a UK supplier I am running as the master controller with the two 800 controllers in local mode. To achieve this I had to upgrade the 800s to ArubaOS 3.3

When upgrading the UK purchased controller it allowed me to select GB as the country code but the USA purchased one would only allow US to be selected.

This put the original 800 controller into Restricted US mode just by upgrading to ArubaOS 3.3.

I can no longer terminate any of my Access points to this controller meaning I have effectively lost 16AP licences just by upgrade the 800s to ArubaOS 3.3.

I presume ArubaOS 3.3 checks the serial number and if it is in a certain range it lock it to Restricted US mode.

Does anyone know of a way of forcing the controller back into GB mode? I can’t afford to loose 16 licences and don’t want to brake any UK laws by pumping out USA radio ranges in the UK.

Is it possible to modify the 800 serial number into a GB range?

Or is it just a jumper connection on the 800 main board?

I really don’t want to fork out another £2000 for a new UK 800 controller and don’t want to go grovelling to Aruba support if I can avoid it!

Re: UK Upgrade 800s to ArubaOS 3.3 now one locked to Restricted US mode

You're going to have to go groveling, I'm afraid. This is all related to issues around DFS and regulatory certification, and was basically forced on us by our friends in the government. We now sell three versions of the hardware - one for the US (designated by a model number ending in -US), one for Israel (IL), and one unrestricted for the rest of the world that is indicated by no designation in the model number (i.e. "800").

Does the model number of your controller on the label on the back show "800-US"? If so, it's a bit of a problem. Technically you should not have even been able to import that unit into the country, as it's not regulatory approved for the UK.

If the model shows only "800" then there are ways to change the model number in software, but this is something only support can do (if it were possible for an end user to do this, we'd be breaking all sorts of regulatory rules.)

So as I said, best to go grovel. Sorry!
---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy
Aruba Employee

UK Upgrade 800s to ArubaOS 3.3 now one locked to Restricted US mode

There are a couple of instances where a previously unlocked controller will be locked into a restricted domain during a 2.x->3.x upgrade. It happens if the controller has remnant country US in the 2.5 config, or if US was selected during a clean upgrade (write erase config file) to 3.x.

In either case to abide by DFS regulations once the region is locked it cannot be changed by the end user. Please contact Aruba support. They may have ways to address the issue remotely.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info.

The model number on the controller on the label on the back shows just "800" not "800-US" so I am presuming that I am OK

Sent an email to EMEA support to see if they can change the model number in the software.

Would this be chargeable to fix as it must be way out of warranty and I don’t have any support contract?

Ill post an update when support get back to me.

Got it unlocked. Logged a support call and they consoled in across the net and altered something in the firmware(well some hardware mem) to unlock it. All OK now I’m happy!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: