ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor I

Upgrade Best Practice

My current environment consists of 10 locals and a master controller. I am wondering if best practice when upgrading the OS is to start with the master and work through the locals or the other way around. I am thinking if you start with the locals you know of any issues before you get to the master. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Re: Upgrade Best Practice

Upload OS to each controller on the non-running partition, then reboot all at the same time. Make sure you do a backup flash first, of course.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks for the info. I noticed the guide says the same. How would you normally go about reloading them all at once? It also says if you cannot do them all at once to kill the link between them and then upgrade but that seems sensless.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Do them one after the other. OR, if you have Airwave, you can upgrade and reboot them simultaneously.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

What I do is change the master/local ipsec pre-shared key on the master so the locals cannot communicate to it.

Once all locals have dropped off, the order doesn't particularly matter. Just don't put the pre-shared key back to what it was until all controllers are running the same version.
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks Mike. I was also considering a quick ACL at my remotes. I talked with Aruba support and they didn't make much of upgrading the controllers individually with connectivity in place. Im still looking to understand why this is now in the upgrade guide and how others are handling it.
Aruba Employee

You don't really want connectivity in place because the only supported configuration a master/local setup is for every controller to be running the exact same version.

I've gotten away with leaving everything connected while doing a minor revision upgrade 3.3.2.10 to 3.3.2.13 for example, but it's not recommended. Don't even attempt it if there it's a major revision, like 3.4.x.x to 5.x.x.x, or even 3.3.x.x to 3.4.x.x. Make sure connectivity is down first.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: