ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Upgrade from 3.3.3.8 to 5.0.3.3 captive portal redirection problem

Hello,

I just upgraded from 3.3.3.8 to 5.0.3.3
For the SSID for our company, everything is working as expected.
However, for the SSID of guests users, i get ip address from the dhcp and all rights informations, but when i open internet explorer, i don't get directly the redirection to the captive portal (was working fine without any problem with 3.3.3.8).
The only way to get access, is by typing the ip address of the controller and at that time, i get the redirection. But after let say 30 seconds.

Any idea how i can trouble shoot that ?

Thank you in advance,
Mike
Guru Elite

Re: Upgrade from 3.3.3.8 to 5.0.3.3 captive portal redirection problem

That normally means that DNS is not working.

On the client with the problem, on the commandline, do an nslookup to www.google.com and see if that works. If it does not work, find out if the initial user role is blocking DNS.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

when i do a nslookup i receive a connection refused yes.
But something changed in policies rules or firewall settings from such upgrade ?
in my role user for the captive portal, it states it's clearly redirected.
in the initial user role, policy nat every dns request to virtual interface of the aruba controller.
is the dns service not working on the controller maybe ?
because in the security logs, i don't get an error, should i enable more deep logging for user role ? if yes, which one?

Regards,

Mike
Guru Elite

What is the initial role that the user gets?

On the command line, type "show rights " so that we can see what the polcies are.

In addition, what is the DNS server that the users point to? If it is the controller, please change it to 8.8.8.8. The upgrade has definitely changed the way DNS is handled if the users point to the controller for DNS.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

In the dhcp settings, dns give to the client another dns, it's not the controller.

I'll try again to check tonight and will let you know as i can't do it during production time.

Thank you for your help, will keep you posted.

Regards,

Mike
Guru Elite

Seyo,

If this is critical, please open a support case so that it can be resolved more quickly.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

I'm having the same issues after upgrading from 5.0.3.0 to 5.0.3.2. DNS is working but resolving to our management interface, not the guest interface.

Captive Portal page is naturally not displaying.
Guru Elite

What are the clients using for DNS?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

The clients were using an external DNS server.

I finally had the opportunity to play around so I tried a rollback to 5.0.3.0. This was still a no-go. I compared the configs from before and after the upgrade and saw that some bits and pieces were moved around but everything was there and in the correct place as far as I could see. Anyways I did a rollback of the config and as I expected it was still a no-go.

When the Captive Portal page failed to display I saw that the URL was https://securelogin.ar....... In lack of better things to try, I tried with http://sec.... and it worked?! I started checking out the Captive Portal Authentication Profile and saw "Use HTTP for authentication". I ticked this box and now the Captive Portal respons to both http:// and https:// (?)

I'm still a bit WTFed about the whole thing but now I just happy that it works. If anyone got a good explanation to what just happened I'm eager to know :D
Guru Elite

If you open a case with support,that would be the quickest way to get to the bottom of it.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: