ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

User does not request new DHCP address when AP moves to backup controller

Hi,

I have a setup where my primary controllers Enteprise SSID is mapped to VLAN100
The backup controller is in a different Layer 3 network, where the Enterprise SSID is mapped to VLAN200

In simulating a failover scenario where the primary is down, the AP's move over to the backup controller successfully.

However, my clients, do not automatically request a new IP address. If I manually get them to request a new IP address ( ipconfig /release - ipconfig/renew) they successfully obtain a new IP address from VLAN200.

Is there something I need to configure to get the clients to request an IP address automatically ?

thanks

Lee
Frequent Contributor II

Re: User does not request new DHCP address when AP moves to backup controller

Anyone got any thoughts on this question ?
Guru Elite

The clients will only request a new DHCP address if the radio on the access point is down for a certain amount of time. The quick failover to the next controller (4 to 10 seconds) means that most clients will either not notice, or not request a new ip address. If you need to have a controller in a datacenter where the same layer2 VLAN does not exist, you should consider bridged mode, instead of tunnel mode, so that the clients remain on the same VLAN through the whole transition.

All in all, quick failover works against clients requesting a new DHCP address. Many Clients would need to see the AP down for a certain amount of time before they ask for another IP address successfully. Either have Virtual AP in bridged mode so that the clients can maintain their ip addresses, or make the Virtual AP tunneled and have both controllers be able to place clients on the same layer2 network during a failover.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

There is no way of delay the transition for one AP to another? so we can force a AP reboot.
Guru Elite

You could try increasing the bootstrap threshold

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: