ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Using SSID Split-tunnel to increase reliabilty

Hi all,

I want o know if the split-tunnel forward mode in the SSID profile could be assigned to a mesh point (not RAP) ?

if yes considering that scenario:

1-I made the forward mode of the SSID to be Split-tunnel
2-I have two Clients associated to the same AP and are calling each other by Voice over WI-Fi device.
3-Will the AP directly forward the voice traffic to the clients without sending it first to the controller and then return to it again?

and if yes how to make the ACL to make the AP forward local traffic without sending to the controller as the clients are not fixed the are moving so i don't have fixed clients that will every time associates to the same AP
so i want the AP to see if the traffic destination to IP address of a device associated to it the send sourcenat it without sending it to the controller

any idea?

thanks in advance
Guru Elite

Split-Tunnel and Mesh

That would not work, because you cannot configure a split-tunnel SSID on a mesh AP. In addition, since the mesh AP does not decrypt any user traffic (the controller does), it does not know the destination of any traffic, so it cannot make any decisions about it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Using SSID Split-tunnel to increase reliabilty

Hi Colin
thanks for your reply

but i need to know could that work in Mesh Portal or oridinary AP that is connected wiredly to the controller or the split-tunnel only applicable in RAP mode?

and if yes
how to configure the fire wall policy to do that?
Guru Elite

Split-Tunnel

Vip4theworld,

Split-Tunnel can only be configured on a remote AP.

If you are using access points in a regular campus environment you can have two voice phones with a "tunneled" SSID and still have good quality. You do not need to split-tunnel.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi,

i need to limit the amount of traffic that tunneled to the controller so i wanted to make that scenario but unfortunately ir is not applicable

bt i also need to know the needed wired speed per AP ie the max bandwidth that the AP need to communicate with the controller

considering that example:
i have 2 AP 70 and wanted to connect them in cascad ie; first AP is directly connected to the LAN and the 2nd connected to the 2nd port of the 1st AP
then problem would be; when the AP working with its max speed on b/g & a it needs a 108Mbps (54M of b/g & 54M of a)
so when cascading the 2 AP each one will operate with its half performance

but i read somewhere that the actual speed is less than the 54M for each radio so i want to know the max bandwidth needed by the AP to communcate with the controller with its full performance

thanks in advance
Guru Elite

Limit

Vip,

Please describe your potential deployment so that others can weigh in on your design. Connecting an AP to the second port of the AP70 can work in some scenarios, but is not ideal in all of them. Please describe your design and/or what problem you are trying to solve.

Colin Joseph

Hi all,

we are designing a project of very large outdoor area but the problem is we want to keep the usage of the Mesh Portals minimal as we have difficulties in deploying cable
the area need about 30 AP and the available mesh portals we can deploy are only four
but we need to allow high quality voice over wifi so we need to increase the number of mesh Portals (as if we have four then every one MPP would share its a speed (54Mbps between about 7 MP so the over all throughput will decrease)
so we thought of cascading AP to another AP to increase the number of mesh portals
but some of my college told me that the BW needed by the AP is 100Mbps(max)
as the a a and b/g max. speed (54M+54M) and if more than one AP shared the same Fast Ethernet port also the over all throughput will decrease

but i read that the actual data sent by the AP to the controller (max.) is less than the speed of the max speed of the wireless channel (even if the channel works with its max speed) so i want to know what is the max speed needed by the AP to forward traffic to the controller to compute how many AP can i cascade per Fast Ethernet port

sorry for the long message and thanks in advance
Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

i have read that you will cascade the AccessPoints. So you have to install Cables.

The best Design is to use a small QoS capable Switch at the middle.

Your Design:
----Cable---- AP ---- Cable ---- AP ---- Cable ---- AP

Better Design:

---Cable---------Switch
AP----Cable-----l AP l------Cable-------AP

Best Regards

Hi Mirko,

you are right i do have a switch that will directly connected to the controller the connect 4 AP to that switch but still need to cascade AP like you said

so my question is how much does AP when operating in b/g an a modes will consume from the ethernet port when it operates in its max. speed to be able to determine how many AP could i cascade and all of them srtill able to operate with their full speed?

thanks in advance
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: