ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor I

VAP and allowed band

I have an aruba 620 controller with a virtual access point profile configured with the allowed band option set as g. The options are a, g, or all. Is there a reason why they were set to g? Wouldn't I want to use all, so that client devices that use 802.11n can use the extra channels in the 5 ghz range??? What are the downsides/advantages to using all bands when configuring VAP profiles?
Guru Elite

Re: VAP and allowed band

Some devices only work on b/g, so for that particular SSID you would only want them to connect to and send broadcasts on the b/g side. If devices only use b/g, but we have the allowed VAP set to "all" their broadcasts will resent on the 5ghz side, as well, using bandwidth and AP resources.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

1.) For those who have 802.11n would it be better to allow all bands so they can use more channels and thus better coverage and throughput?

2.) I have heard that if there is an 802.11g device, all the 802.11n devices will have to use that slower 54 mb/s speed, is that correct?

3.) The AP-105s have 2 radios, if i set allowed bands to all does that mean both radios are now being used? If so does that keep the ap-105 from doing other management things like packet capture since that 2nd radio is now in use? What is best practice - just use g?

Guru Elite

1.) For those who have 802.11n would it be better to allow all bands so they can use more channels and thus better coverage and throughput?

2.) I have heard that if there is an 802.11g device, all the 802.11n devices will have to use that slower 54 mb/s speed, is that correct?

3.) The AP-105s have 2 radios, if i set allowed bands to all does that mean both radios are now being used? If so does that keep the ap-105 from doing other management things like packet capture since that 2nd radio is now in use? What is best practice - just use g?

1. Yes
2. The 802.11n devices will not have to use that slower speed, but they would be delayed by the 54mb devices that take up more airtime. Using the QOS fair-access or preferred access setting can mitigate that
3. Both Radios are being used. The AP can still do packet captures.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks Collin, you are always very helpful!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: