ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Vlan pool size

We use Vlan pooling for the students...Some of the Pools are different sizes...They are all /24's but use the same vlan pool name...I noticed there is a VLAN POOL SIZE
Box in the virtual AP profile...If you mouse over it, it tells you it enable new algorithm for vlan pooling..What is this new algorithm and how do I set it up?
Brian
Aruba Employee

Re: Vlan pool size

First up, all your pools should be the same size no matter which method you use.

The original system for VLAN pools hashes clients into pools. This can lead to uneven pool distribution especially when you have very few pools. We're tweaking that to allow a round robin assignment of pools in the new system. To do that we also need to know the size of the pools, which again, should all be the same.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Andy,
We use a Local per distribution router and have a master as a fail over.
Some distribution areas have large concentration of Dorm buildings ( 3000 students)
and some distribution areas only a small amount of dorm buildings with 500 users..
Some Vlan pools have up to 16 /24 subnets and some I only need 8 /24 subnets..
Are you saying I should add more subnets to the 8 /24 and make them 16 /24's.
And make that the case on each distribution controller?

That would be difficult to do with our limited amount of IP space.
Brian
Aruba Employee

Each VLAN pool should have the same size subnets is what Andy is pointing out. If you have pool called "x", each subnet in "x" should have the same mask, otherwise you might have a subnet that is out of addresses, but the controller is still trying to put clients into it.

Each unique pool can have a different number of VLANs assigned, however.

There would be no need to add VLANs to pools with 8 /24s unless you need the additional addresses for capacity.

Olino,
Okay that makes sense to me....I guess I lost something here in the posting translation...I was having a hart attack...:eek: So my question is what should I put in the VLAN POOL size box if all my subnets are /24's?
Brian
Aruba Employee

Aruba will release a version of code in the future that uses that parameter for round-robin VLAN assignment (instead of the hash function used today). That way, VLAN distrobution will be more even. While testing this, it may have accidentally been left in a production version of code. I have a controller running 6.1.2.3 and that parameter is not in the VAP profile. I think it was removed after 5.0.3.3 and 6.0.1.0 (or somewhere close...).

Okay I see....Thanks for the information...
Brian
Aruba Employee

I would also like to point out that if you are doing L2 roaming between two different controllers they will need to have the same VLANs in the pool. Otherwise when the device MAC is hashed into the new pool they will need to change addressing, it won't be a simple roaming event.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: