ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Windows 7 logon time issue

Hi, we just started to use windows 7. While the system is running with no user logged on, it gets its 'computer_role' . While watching the cli on the controller, and then logging into the windows 7 system I noticed that the role changed from 'computer_role -> to user_role' (show user-table), then it reverts back to
the 'computer_role' . During this time windows 7 is sitting at the welcome screen.
Then with the user setttings comes up the role changes to 'user_role'

I have not seen this behaviour on either windows xp, or vista. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I also pulled this from the aruba controller log during the logon cycle of the windows7 system:
'WPA 2 Key exchange failed to complete, de-authenticating the station'

jason
Guru Elite

Expected

That behavior is expected. It logs in as a computer when it is at the ctrl-alt-delete screen, and as a user, when a user actually logs in. When the user logs off, the computer logs in as itself, again. On your Windows XP computers you would need to have the "authenticate as a computer when information is available" wireless setting for it to do the same thing. The benefits are:

(1) Login Script
(2) Ability to manage wireless computers when they are at the "ctrl-alt-delete" screen.

The WPA2 key exchange failed to complete is not necessarily a show stopper, as long as it does not happen very often.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor I

Hi, the logon process takes 30sec to 1.5 min. Using Windows vista/xp 8sec.

jason
Guru Elite

Logon Process

Are you saying that the Windows 7 machine takes that long? Are you looking at the machine itself, or that's how long it takes for the user to show up in the user table on the controller?
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor I

Hi, I first see the user role when the credentials are put in and the enter button is pushed. then after a few seconds it switches to the computer role.
Then after the 30+sec when the desktop starts the role changed back to the user role.

This is entirely different how windows xp /vista operate they get the user role as soon as the user logs in and the role doesent change.

jason
Guru Elite

Correct

You are right. It is not supposed to change once the user has logged in. You should open a case so that they can look at your logs and determine why the change. If you also do debugging on that user you can also see why the role has changed:

config t
logging level debug user-debug

show log user-debug (x)

There is also a parameter in Windows7 that determines whether the user, computer or both authenticate via dot1x under the advanced parameters in 802.1x in the wireless setup. You might take a look at that.
Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Hi, yes I have turned on user-degug and changed the logging level to debug for security and user.

I will be opening up a ticket with aruba this morning.

The only thing odd in the logs is that there is a DeAuthentication wpa2 when the user logs on?

thx jason
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: