ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

adding vlans and moving the controller IP

Let's see if i can explain this without too much confusion. We recently purchases a 620 with 7 AP-93's. We've got 3 buildings, 2 of which are hard wired together, 1 is remote but not relevant to this issue.

our DMZ is vlan3 and switch uplinks are all tagged appropriately.

At first i configured our controller in it's default vlan1 with it's IP. The AP's were wired and punched down with direct wired connections to the controller's 0-3 ports. The uplink is the GE1/8.

It's current vlan configu looks like this in CONFIGURATION>IP>IP INTERFACES

1 10.20.21.5 255.255.255.0 FE1/0-7,GE1/8,Pc0-7 Enabled Up Regular

It was realized we need to move the controller and the vlan to vlan3 to comply our policy.

So here's where the fun started. I added vlan3 and chose all ports and hit apply. POOF! WebUI is gone and WiFi is broken. Got into the CLI and did "no vlan 3" and it was back to happy again, moving all ports back to vlan 1.

Then, I added vlan 3 and didn't choose ANY ports with it and hit apply. POOF! WebUI gone again and WiFi is broken again. CLI again, did no vlan 3 and was happy again.

After thinking about it overnight im wondering if this is how it should go.

remove 1 port, maybe one of (FE1/4-7) from vlan 1. Wire it as a new uplink to the same switch as GE1/8(the current uplink). create vlan 3 and associate that one port with it. Assign a new IP to vlan 3 and move the controller IP to vlan 3. Then once the controller is on and accessible on vlan 3, associate the other ports (FE1/0-3) and (GE1/8) from vlan 1 over to vlan 3.

Is this hokey and a cleaner way of doing this?

Thanks,
Ed
Guru Elite

Changing VLAN IP

The biggest part about changing the controller's IP address to another VLAN is that you will lose connectivity, and you will need to reboot so you need to use the console cable. I recommend this procedure:

1. Connect Via the console cable
2. Create that VLAN (VLAN 3- and give it a bogus address and subnet mask)
3. Remove the ip address from VLAN 1 (config t, interface vlan 1, no ip address)
4. do NOT reboot
5. Put the ip address on VLAN 3 (config t, interface vlan 3, ip address 10.20.21.5 255.255.255.0)
6. Put VLAN3 on the interface that you want to manage (config t, interface gigabitethernet 1/8, switchport access vlan 3)
7. Reboot, and you should be able to access the controller on that ip address when it comes up.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Re: adding vlans and moving the controller IP

The biggest part about changing the controller's IP address to another VLAN is that you will lose connectivity, and you will need to reboot so you need to use the console cable. I recommend this procedure:

1. Connect Via the console cable
2. Create that VLAN (VLAN 3- and give it a bogus address and subnet mask)
3. Remove the ip address from VLAN 1 (config t, interface vlan 1, no ip address)
4. do NOT reboot
5. Put the ip address on VLAN 3 (config t, interface vlan 3, ip address 10.20.21.5 255.255.255.0)
6. Put VLAN3 on the interface that you want to manage (config t, interface gigabitethernet 1/8, switchport access vlan 3)
7. Reboot, and you should be able to access the controller on that ip address when it comes up.

Thanks Collin. That's close to what I was thinking. How's this look?

conf t
int vlan 1
no ip addr
vlan 3
int vlan 3
ip address 10.20.21.5 255.255.255.0
ip default-gateway 10.20.21.1
int GE1/8
switchport access vlan 3
int FE1/0-7
switchport access vlan 3
end
wr mem

Then change the AP configuration > AP Group > (my group) > wireless lan > vap to point to vlan 3.

Ours is a simple setup so hopefully im not missing something else.

BTW, whats the Pc0-7 ports its showing? FE and GE, fine. I got those, but Pc?
Guru Elite

Yes, but

Vlan 3 must have some ip address, before you remove the ip address on vlan 1.

You also need to reload after you do write mem, because you have changed the switch ip.

After you reload, you should be able to manage the device once again. Let us know how it goes.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Vlan 3 must have some ip address, before you remove the ip address on vlan 1.

You also need to reload after you do write mem, because you have changed the switch ip.

After you reload, you should be able to manage the device once again. Let us know how it goes.

Well, it didnt happen as gracefully as i'd hoped but I got through it. hehe.

I created a vlan 3 and ip'd it. Tried to move the 21.5 (current controller ip) to it but got this error.

interface vlan 3 ip address 10.20.21.5 255.255.255.0:IP Address conflicts with another Interface

thought it was the DHCP pool created under the Configuration > IP area. So i blew it away.

Moved all FE, GE, and Pc ports to vlan 3

wrote to mem, reloaded.

next login i removed the IP from vlan 1, assigned it to vlan 3 and things started coming together around then. it took me about 2 hrs to complete the work, ya ya, no laughing.

I did find some setting in the gui didnt take as i'd expected so i was going between the gui and cli but figured it all out.

The only thing im a bit confused about is the uplink switch tagging. here in the building we have 4 AP's wired directly to the controller. Our remote building next door comes across a couple switches all tagged as vlan3. However, if i tag the swtich port the controller is connected to, it drops off, so it's on vlan 3 but untagged. I guess im just a bit confused whether the controller is tagging or not.
Aruba

VLAN 3 Configuration is untagged

"The only thing im a bit confused about is the uplink switch tagging. here in the building we have 4 AP's wired directly to the controller. Our remote building next door comes across a couple switches all tagged as vlan3. However, if i tag the swtich port the controller is connected to, it drops off, so it's on vlan 3 but untagged. I guess im just a bit confused whether the controller is tagging or not. "

Based on the configuration you posted earlier in the thread, the controller port will be untagged and in VLAN 3.

If you would like it tagged you need to switch the mode to trunk.
New Contributor

"The only thing im a bit confused about is the uplink switch tagging. here in the building we have 4 AP's wired directly to the controller. Our remote building next door comes across a couple switches all tagged as vlan3. However, if i tag the swtich port the controller is connected to, it drops off, so it's on vlan 3 but untagged. I guess im just a bit confused whether the controller is tagging or not. "

Based on the configuration you posted earlier in the thread, the controller port will be untagged and in VLAN 3.

If you would like it tagged you need to switch the mode to trunk.

trunk! ugh!!! i new i forgot something. haha. one more thorn to pull out. Thanks so much for the help guys.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: