ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

dhcp problem

Hi all,

i have a strange problem in the dhcp
i have configured the dhcp on the controller in my lab and it works fine for about month ago
but today i have found that all dhcp addresses are leased and when trying to execute the command

i found that all the IP addresses are leased to the only one computer which is the server of the lab
it is a computer running windows server 2003
is it a known error in the MS WS2003
btw i 'm using that server as a RADIUS server in the lab

any ideas to fix that problem

thanks in advance
Guru Elite

DHCP Binding

My suggestion is that you should turn on DHCP debugging to see exactly what is going on:

config t
logging level debugging network process dhcpd
logging level debugging network subcat dhcp

Afterward, do a "show log network all" to see what is going on with DHCP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: dhcp problem

Hi Colin,

i did the debug and the debug showed that the server mac address requested all the DHCP IP scope

it seems that the server go through loop that requests the DHCP configuration tell the DHCP scope finished

i believe that there is an error in the server software that makes this and i wonder if any one had the same problem

btw the server assigned static IP not configured to get DHCP

unfortunately i can't uninstall the windows server 2003 OS and install it again

so i wonder if there any way to make the DHCP relay releases only one IP address to each MAC address that requests an IP

thanks i advance
Guru Elite

Trojan, Virus?

Of course, I have to ask if you are running antivirus software on that server. I would consider turning on the server's firewall so you can see exactly what is happening.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi Colin ,

thanks for your reply

i have made some tries on the server and that was the result:

i can't enable firewall on it because of the Routing and remote access service is running:
when i try to open the firewall i got a message that firewall can't be
run because it use the Network Address Translation component (Ipnat.sys)

when disabling the Routing and Remote Access service the server free the ip lease from the DHCP and every things works well with the DHCP

but the problem is i use that server as a RADIUS server so i want the Routing and Remote Access to be running

any ideas please?

waiting for your reply

Hi all,

i have found the problem and i want to share it

the Routing and Remote Access service automatically lease 10 IP addresses from the DHCP server to assign them to the Remote Clients connected to it

and unfortunately i assigned only 10 addresses to the DHCP server on the controller so it was acquiring them all :D

also we can disable that feature from the RARS by clicking properties of it and in the IP section check use static IP and assign two static address

also that links at the end of the article discribes how to make the block of IP addresses the leased by the RRAS to be one IP instead of 10
http://msmvps.com/blogs/robwill/archive/2008/05/09/rras-dhcp-options.aspx

thanks Colin for your help

bye
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: