ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

extremely slow logon in XP

We have a problem with our XP laptops taking a very long time to log into windows. I'm talking 20-30 minutes long. It seems to get stuck the longest on "applying personal settings".
Doesn't seem to happen with win7 and the laptops log on normal when not connected to the aruba AP.
We've had consultants check the controller config as well as every other network setting they could think of.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Guru Elite

Re: extremely slow logon in XP

- Are you using roaming profiles?
- Does it take this long the first time a user logs onto a laptop or every time? With cached credentials (the second time and beyond) this process should be significantly faster
- Sometimes wireless, which is normally slower than wired, makes very apparent existing performance issues...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

We are not using roaming profiles.
This happens at every logon... not just the first.
I don't think the log on time going from 20 seconds to 30 minutes can be explained by the fact that wireless is a little slower than ethernet... Plus it doesn't happen if we setup a $50 netgear wifi ap.. Only when using aruba.
Guru Elite

The big question is:

- Has this always been happening?
- Are you using encryption and what type?
- What role is the user being placed in when he connects to the Aruba controller and what are the firewall policies attached to that role?

I really cannot imagine waiting 30 minutes for a logon.. Many others accomplish this without those issues, we will have to dig into the details of your config.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Yes, This has always happened. Took a little while to realize because it was a slow roll out and our initial testing was done with win7 not xp.

We are using WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.

I didn't configure the roles and I'm not sure I'm interpreting them correctly...but from what I can tell, all users are 'Authenticated' with allowall,v6-allowall for firewall.
Guru Elite

Are all the wireless users on the same VLAN as the wired clients?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

The wireless users are put on the same subnet as the controller (located at our colo).
Guru Elite

Yes, but do they share that same subnet with wired clients?

Since this is a Windows domain do the client map drives or run login scripts upon login? Could the clients be mapping drives to nonexistent shares? Have you tried to login as the local administrator and see if you have the same issue?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

No, none of the wired clients are on that subnet.. its just for the colo. However, all traffic goes through a switch that is at the colo and on the same vlan as the controller + wireless clients. Might not be explaining that quite right, i'm not really a network guy.

All maped drives should be (and are) accessible. No login scripts are running.

I'm guessing that logging in with a local account would not be slow but I'll have to try it tomorrow to tell you for sure.
Frequent Contributor II

How large are the profiles? Do you have any group policies being applied?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: