ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

how to create SSID for each VLAN

Actually i have multiple vlan i want to create ssid for each vlan. please reply asap

MVP

Re: how to create SSID for each VLAN

Not sure why you would want to do this, but you just create an SSID profile for each SSID and apply it to a Virtual-AP profile. In the Virtual-AP profile you can define the VLAN the clients are placed on.

The Aruba User Guide covers this in detail.

David
ACDX #98 | ACMP | ACCP
Aruba Employee

Normally you don't want to create an SSID per VLAN. Using ArubaOS, you can create an "employee" SSID and have the VLAN assigned dynamically based on the user connecting to the SSID (i.e. Markteting employee gets VLAN 100, Engineering gets VLAN 200 and so on).

Also please have a look at the Campus Validated Reference Guide for more information: http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/#Campus

HTH

-Thomas

actually i have three department HR, Technical and marketing and all the pc have wireless connectivity i want that HR get ip from 192.168.1.0/24, Technical get ip from 192.168.2.0/24 and marketing get ip from 192.168.3.0/24

please reply as soon as possible

MVP

Use 1 SSID with 802.1x authentication using RADIUS against user directory (e.g. Active Directory). Have rules on the RADIUS server which send back a RADIUS attribute based on the group the user belongs to. From this a specific VLAN can be applied.

If you read the user guide and VRD on campus networks you should get an idea how to implement 802.1x.

David
ACDX #98 | ACMP | ACCP

please can you suggest me simple method without using AD and radius server. if i create multiple ssid with vlan id under one ap-group. is it possible or not.

Aruba

Hello,

Please forgive me in advance but this is a bad idea.  You can accomplish what you want via role based access with usernames and passwords for a SINGLE ssid.  If you don't want to use RADIUS and 802.1x that's fine...you can use our internal DB for user accounts if you want.  

By having multiple and unneeded SSIDs, you are using more of the shared airtime for just broadcasting and beaconing those SSIDs. This will take away airtime for actual client data.  I understand you want to have multiple subnets per functinoal department.  That can also be done on a single SSID.  In each role you would assign, you can specify a VLAN ID.

So...in your scenario, it would be the following:

1. A Single SSID

2. Using AD or RADIUS for backend role based derivation OR use our internal DB for each user or department

3. Create roles based on the functional groups and assign the VLAN ID in that role.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos

thanks for you suggestion.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: