ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

load configuration from another controller

Hi all,

Is there anyway to load the backup configuration from another different model controller ?
Is it possible to load the current configuration such as provisioned AP and wireless profile from 3200 to 800 ?

regards
Ye Lynn
Guru Elite

Quickest

Hi all,

Is there anyway to load the backup configuration from another different model controller ?
Is it possible to load the current configuration such as provisioned AP and wireless profile from 3200 to 800 ?

regards
Ye Lynn

The Quickest way is to make the 800 a local to that 3200 that is a master, and then reboot. After the 800 reboots, make it a master, again. That should copy all of the WLAN information from one to the other. You will still have to export the local database, and the RF plan if you have any and then copy those to the 800 controller manually.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: load configuration from another controller

great
I'll do that right away.

My preferred method is the following (this way EVERYTHING comes across - config and databases):

On the existing controller, issue the "backup flash" command (can also be done in the GUI under the Maintenance Tab). Then copy the flashbackup.tar.gz file to a TFTP or FTP server.

On the new controller, give it an IP address, copy the flashbackup.tar.gz file from the server and issue the "restore flash" command. IMPORTANT: before rebooting, apply the licenses to the new controller. Then reboot and configure ports (since you're changing chassis types the port names won't match up so you'll need to re-assign the ports to VLANs).
--
Christopher Leach - CISSP, ACDX, ACMX
Director, Training and Certification
Aruba Employee

I'm thinking you can do the same thing by making the 800 a backup master to the 3200 and do a master-redundancy database synchronize. It'll pull the RF plan.

Regular Contributor I

I guess this should be posted here...

I want to take a Startup-Config dump to putty...

create a default configuration that other techs can modify in notepad, changing the name and IPs, of the controller...

and then have the techs paste them into the console of the new controller so it is quickly configured?

Is it possible and is it worth the trouble?

I've tried it a few times and almost bricked the controller, thankfully I didn't add a "write mem" to it. LOL :o
Aruba

Show Config

Sure, you can do a 'no paging' and then a 'show config' and take all the contents to a text file for editing a configuration.

The caveats being that this configuration does not contain the database information for the APs (aka whitelist) nor the user information (e.g. localdB users)

I routinely build configs in notepad using a similar method to what you appear to be considering. Works well !:)
Regular Contributor I

Thanks, unfortunately I'm finding that even if I go into the same controller's console, get into Config Term, and then paste a unmodified config, I get allot of "Invalid input detected".

Is there a different mode I need the controller to be in to take these configurations without the "Invalid input detected errors"?

Take for instance...

controller config 0

ip access-list eth validuserethac1
permit any
!
netservice svc-snmp-trap udp 162
netservice svc-syslog udp 514
!

When the config gets to this point the controller start throwing the errors.

Aruba

Cloning Controllers

Does the second controller (aka the new controller) have all licenses loaded that the first one does ?

Are you in 'config t' mode before pasting?

What are the errors (maybe post the first 5 lines once you verify the two items above)

Tks
Aruba Employee

Certain config lines like "controller config 0" is used internally and not accepted on the CLI. It's normal to get errors for these.

The other two commands should not require any license to execute. You need to be in config mode though.. Try typing it manually in the CLI and see if you still get an error.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: