Frequent Contributor I

logging

I am new to logging and I am confused with the logging facility and logging server stuff. I have a 3600 controller and under configuration -> Logging it has a Server and Levels tab.

Under the Servers tab there is a Logging Facility option you can change (local0-local7) and then there is also a logging server you can create with the options of Ip address, category, and logging facility (local0-local7).

I am confused with why there is a logging facility option as well as a logging server logging facility.

When I specify the logging facility as well as the logging server logging facility these are the commands it runs:

logging facility local0
logging 1.1.1.1 security local2

What is the difference between the 2 logging facilities options? Or what is the difference between the 2 commands? Thanks for any information you can provide!
Guru Elite

Re: logging

Syslog servers can listen to syslog on the default port (514), but also separate logs into different conversations if you send your syslog traffic to different facilities. It just provides a way for the syslog server on the other end to sort traffic by tagging it with a different facility.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Based on the 2 commands I provided, which logs will be logged as local0 and which will be logged as local2? Seems to me the security logs will be local2 but I don't understand the need for the first command.

Guru Elite

I am new to logging and I am confused with the logging facility and logging server stuff. I have a 3600 controller and under configuration -> Logging it has a Server and Levels tab.

Under the Servers tab there is a Logging Facility option you can change (local0-local7) and then there is also a logging server you can create with the options of Ip address, category, and logging facility (local0-local7).

I am confused with why there is a logging facility option as well as a logging server logging facility.

When I specify the logging facility as well as the logging server logging facility these are the commands it runs:

logging facility local0
logging 1.1.1.1 security local2

What is the difference between the 2 logging facilities options? Or what is the difference between the 2 commands? Thanks for any information you can provide!

The first command will log to any server with an unspecified facility with the facility of local0
The second command will log specifically to the server at 1.1.1.1 the security logs with facility of local2

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thank you!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: