ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

master local question

Hi All,

Is it possible to run OS version 3.4.1 on a local controller while the master is running 3.3.2.21, or does the master need to be upgraded as well?

Thanks in advance!
Aruba Employee

master local question

Master should be upgraded as well.
Aruba Employee

master local question

The versions need to match. For one thing global configuration may not sync correctly if master and locals have different versions.
Occasional Contributor I

Re: master local question

Hi All,

Is it possible to run OS version 3.4.1 on a local controller while the master is running 3.3.2.21, or does the master need to be upgraded as well?

Thanks in advance!

Echoing what the others said...

But sometimes, it may be worthwhile to downgrade your local controller from 3.4.1 to 3.3.2.21 depending on how many other local controllers you have in your existing setup. I heard the next major release (5.0?) is due some time early this year, so may be better to wait to upgrade all controllers until then... :)
Guru Elite

NOT Acceptable

Echoing what the others said...

But sometimes, it may be worthwhile to downgrade your local controller from 3.4.1 to 3.3.2.21 depending on how many other local controllers you have in your existing setup. I heard the next major release (5.0?) is due some time early this year, so may be better to wait to upgrade all controllers until then... :)

To be clear, it is NOT acceptable to have a master and local that have mismatched code. For one, between code revisions, command structure can be different (definitely different between 3.4.1 and 3.3.2.21) and the local will not understand the configuration elements that the master is pushing to it, introducing unpredictability. Some commands you use to manage one controller will not be present in the other and vice versa. In addition, the licensing structure is different between 3.4.1 and 3.3.2.21, so what is supported and licensed in 3.4.1 may not be present in 3.3.2.21. Last, but not least, if there is a configuration error and those APs on the locals can contact the master, you can get caught in a upgrade/downgrade loop that can be very difficult to troubleshoot.

Controllers that have different MAJOR versions of code should NOT be run in a master/local relationship. If you need to run two controllers on two different major versions of code, you should make the local its own master and configure it individually. Even if you do this, you can run into the upgrade/downgrade loop above, so it should be planned carefully and with the advice of Aruba Support.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

same situation here

I have the same situation here. Upgrade local controller to 3.4.2.1 and left the master controller in 3.3.2.10. Result, authentication messup, users unable to authenticat to the network.

Here's the question, if you have topology with one master controller and multiple local controllers. What will be best procedure to upgrade the code? Assume, your local controllers locate in different cities and time zone. Will upgrade the master first resolve the missmatch issue? Or you need to upgrade all of them at the time (hope this is not the last thing i need to do)?

I would like know this from your experience.

Thanks guys!
Contributor I

I get the code loaded on all controllers in the non-default partition. Then reboot all as fast as I can clickie.

I want the masters to come up first so the order of clickie is master/master/local/local.

No problems. Make sure to retain a flash bu away from each controller, and make sure you do not load new code in the *default* partition...
Contributor II

I've got an odd situation. A customer has upgraded his two locals to 2.5.4.26 and 2.5.4.14 and the master is still 2.5.4.2. He has asked me for help with the migration to 3.3.x.x. Should I get all the 2.5.4.x's on one version before I do anything or can I go straight to 3.3.x.x (assuming I've done all the migration pre-work etc etc.) It is a miracle that this is running at all and I don't want the migration to 'smoke' anything as teh controllers are seperated by many many miles.
Guru Elite

Still Working

There is very little difference in command structure between 2.5.4.26 and 25.4.2, so it is not bad to have these guys running together. You should not have any problems upgrading to 3.3.3.x from 2.5.x. You need to upgrade to 3.3.3.x BEFORE you go to 3.4.x, however; you cannot go straight there. The only consideration is if you are doing remote AP currently. If you are not, you should be good to upgrade. If you reboot all the controllers at one time, you should be good.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Master Controller

I have the same situation here. Upgrade local controller to 3.4.2.1 and left the master controller in 3.3.2.10. Result, authentication messup, users unable to authenticat to the network.

Here's the question, if you have topology with one master controller and multiple local controllers. What will be best procedure to upgrade the code? Assume, your local controllers locate in different cities and time zone. Will upgrade the master first resolve the missmatch issue? Or you need to upgrade all of them at the time (hope this is not the last thing i need to do)?

I would like know this from your experience.

Thanks guys!

Skywalker,

First things first. 3.3.2.x and 3.4.2 use different methods of authentication with regards to the local user database. Your main issue here is that guest users are stored on the master controller. By default guest users for local controllers use the master controller's database to authenticate them. If you didn't upgrade the master controller and the local controllers cannot connect to him, as a result, your guest users will not be able to authenticate. There is an option to use the local controller's internal database, instead of authenticating guest users to the master:

(3600.arubanetworks.com) #configure t
(3600.arubanetworks.com) (config) #aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch

You would enter this on the commandline of every local controller that you want to authenticate via its own local database, instead of the master controller's. You would, of course have to build that local controller database on each local controller that you want to deploy in this fashion.

You should upgrade that master controller ASAP and ensure all controllers are on the same version of code, period.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: