ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

new AP connecting to wrong controller

Hi,

I have trouble configuring an AP since it connects to the wrong controller. We have an A2400 (aruba-master, 10.9.0.200) and an A200 (aruba-test, 10.9.0.202) running OS 5.0.1.0. The AP61 has been used before.

Now I purged the configuration of the AP61 and connected it to the network. Although the default configuration has aruba-master as servername, it always connects to the A200. Even setting the serverip to 10.9.0.200 doesn't change this.

We are not using any white lists so far. This is the first time I connect an AP to our WLAN after upgrading to OS 5. So if something has changed that leads to this behavior, please let me know.

Regards
Dirk
Guru Elite

Ip address of the AP

What is the ip address of the access point? Is a controller providing DHCP to the AP, by any chance?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: new AP connecting to wrong controller

The AP is going to use ADP (multicast) before DNS. The AP will associate itself with whatever controller responds to that multicast first. Perhaps this is what is happening in your case.
Contributor I

The AP doesn't have an initial IP address. It will get it by DHCP. However, the controller is not the DHCP server. This is done by another machine on the network.

Regards
Dirk

Contributor I

Ah, I see. Just read about that in the OS 5 user guide.

Regards
Dirk

Occasional Contributor II

set master 10.9.0.200
set serverip 10.9.0.200
save
reboot

it will take controller config statically...without looking into ADP,DNS,DHCP....
EMH

What is the order of steps that an AP goes through to discover a controller, and has the order always been the same?

Thanks!
MVP

What is the order of steps that an AP goes through to discover a controller, and has the order always been the same?

Thanks!

An AP's master discovery order
1) “master” parameter set (manualy) on the AP
2) dhcp option 43
3) ADP multicast & broadcast
4) DNS lookup for aruba-master

And yes, always been the same.
Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.

AP connecting to the wrong box.

We are exoeriencing something very similar. When we plug a FD ~AP into the network. It gets its DCHP address, runs ADP and comes back with the IP address of a Fortinet Firewall.

The AP then tries to set up its PAPI tunnel but can't, obviously as the Firewall will neither allow it or want to create a PAPI with an AP.

Any Ideas? Does the Fortinet use a similar protocol to ADP? (Why would it???)
We have searched our DNS entries and there is nothing in there that points Aruba-master to the fortinet IP.

Weare also running SW v.5
tweet @wjhphoto
Guru Elite

Console output

Can you post the console output of that AP?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: