ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

restoring startup-config from a backup copy

The command

copy startup-config tftp: <> <> puts a copy of the startup configuration on a remote tftp server, so what is the command to restore the backup copy to the controller.

My assumption is

copy tftp: <> <> flash: default.cfg

Correct??
Guru Elite

Startup config

That "default.cfg" file can by any name that you want it to be (startup-new.cfg, for example). To make the controller boot from that file after you copy it to the controller using tftp, you use the boot config-file command:

To check to make sure it is indeed booting from that file, and what partition it is booting from, use "show boot":

(Aruba800-4) #show boot
Config File: startup-new.cfg

Boot Partition: PARTITION 0

To show what ArubaOS images are on what partitions, use "show image version":

(Aruba800-4) #show image version
----------------------------------
Partition : 0:0 (/dev/hda1) **Default boot**
Software Version : ArubaOS 3.4.2.0 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)
Build number : 23093
Label : 23093
Built on : 2009-12-18 11:26:40 PST
----------------------------------
Partition : 0:1 (/dev/hda2)
Software Version : ArubaOS 3.4.1.0 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)
Build number : 22052
Label : 22052
Built on : 2009-11-30 01:09:09 PST

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: restoring startup-config from a backup copy

The default.cfg cannot be overwritten at runtime through tftp/ftp. As Colin said, copy the file into the controller under a different name, then set boot boot config-file to that file. After a reboot, if you would like this to be your default.cfg, set the boot config-file back to default.cfg then issue a write mem.
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks to all for the info.
It was exactly what I needed.
Occasional Contributor II

copy startup-config

On this subject, is there anyway of carrying out this backup with an account other than the Admin-Root?

I want another area to back-up the configs, but I don't want to disclose the Root Username and password.

I have looked at differant roles i.e. Read only and Network-operation and niether of these roles allow it.

If I create a 2nd Root username, is there any way of limiting the account so they can manage the file system and carry out limited tasks?
tweet @wjhphoto
Guru Elite

Not at this time. if you don't want to reveal usernames and passwords, the best way to do that is to establish an admin login via certificate, from a Linux or Windows host over SSH. This would require dealing with certificate generation, so it is very technical. It might not be worth the trouble if all you want to do is backup a configuration.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Cheers again.

tweet @wjhphoto
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: