ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

snmp wlanAPRadioUtilization scaling?

SNMP polling of wlanAPRadioUtilization often gives absurdly high values, like 110% or 500%. It fluctuates wildly, so I havn't managed to catch it in both the web interface and snmp at the same time to compare. The mib just says "The Utilization of the radio as a percentage of the total capacity." It doesn't say if there should be a scaling factor.

Does anyone else see this? Do you think it's tring to indicate radio contension? Could it be confused by multicast/broadcast packets getting counted multiple times? Do you think it's scaled, and I should just guess at a scaling factor, like divide by 10, so 110 becomes 11.0%?

I'm seeing this on multiple ap models, with both single and dual radios. I'm using an ArubaOS 3.3.3.6.

Thanks.

Re: snmp wlanAPRadioUtilization scaling?

SNMP polling of wlanAPRadioUtilization often gives absurdly high values, like 110% or 500%. It fluctuates wildly, so I havn't managed to catch it in both the web interface and snmp at the same time to compare. The mib just says "The Utilization of the radio as a percentage of the total capacity." It doesn't say if there should be a scaling factor.

Hi there,
this OID is defective and has not worked correctly for a long time, especially since we introduced 802.11n to the APs. We are working on deprecating it and adding some newer OIDs to provide a view to AP radio utilisation:

wlanAPChRxUtilization is % time spent by the radio in rx (avg. over the last 60 seconds)
wlanAPChTxUtilization is % time spent by the radio in tx (avg. over the last 60 seconds)
wlanAPChUtilization is % time radio is busy (avg. over the last 60 seconds)

Not sure of the time frame, it's slated for release 6.0 and it may be patched back to 5.x, but won't be in 5.0.

regards,
-jeff
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: