This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

CWNA Boot Camp

Just got confirmation on my CWNA Boot Camp via Global Knowledge. CWNA - here I come :-)

Scott McNeil - Sr. Network & Security Engineer, Global Process Automation
Network+ | CWNA | CWTS | ACSP | ACMP | ACMA | BREC
9 REPLIES
Super Contributor II

Re: CWNA Boot Camp

Awesome! You got it! Be sure to let everyone know anything cool you learn!!

Sean Rynearson
New Contributor

Good choice! I took the CSWP Boot Camp (online) back in May, by Ronald van Kleunen. Very knowledgeable instructor, and informative training as well. As far as CWNA I would suggest you to use more than one resource as you prepare for the certification.  For my CWNA prep I also used “CCNA Wireless Official Study guide 640-461”, Jerome Henry’s video course, and “Wireless Network Security-A beginner’s guide” (by Tyler Wrightson) as you will have few wireless security question’s on the test. Additionally, “Practice test questions” offered by CWNP website are very helpful too (120 Q&A’s), if you can afford it buy the package. Good luck!

Sead R - VoIP/Net Admin (Ctr.), US Army 54th Battalion, Camp AJ

CCNA | CCNP V | ACMP | CWNA | CWSP | CEH | ECSI | CNDA | CHFI|

Frequent Contributor II

Thanks for the encouragement gang, it is appreciated!

@seadr - yeah, I hear ya. Multiple study paths are always best. As a bonus, the instructor for my ACSP course (of which I passed the cert exam, yaaay!) was none other than David Westcott, one of the authors of the official CWNA study guide from Sybex. What a smart guy, and he said in the class that the ACSP was an excellent stepping stone for the CWNA. Kudos to Aruba for getting that guy as an instructor! Anyway, looking forward to the boot-camp and hopefully will be able to test before Christmas!

I'll be sure to follow up!

Super Contributor II

@dw is the man!!

Sean Rynearson
Frequent Contributor II

CWNA Boot Camp via Global Knowledge - Day 1

All of the regular intro and basic housekeeping stuff. Got all of my books the other day. Also got my voucher and scheduled my CWNA exam for the 16th. Lecture wise - we went through two chapters today. Mainly basic stuff, IEEE, Wi-Fi  Alliance hardware certification and whatnot. Had some pretty deep discussion on the evolution of WiFi from 1997 on through a,b, g ,n and ac. Good stuff so far. Got really in depth on how n and ac work.

Wasted no time as we started in on some labs. Global Knowledge has a solid remote lab set up. Interestingly enough we are using Ruckus ZoneDirector controller and Ruckus ZoneFlex 7982. The test PC's have both D-Link and Proxim wireless cards so getting a lot of variety of gear. It's a lot of fun so far!

Frequent Contributor II

CWNA Boot Camp via Global Knowledge - Day 2

We went in depth into wireless fundamentals, wavelength =  period, frequencies, amplitude and various modulation and encoding (which is error correct). I find that stuff interesting if a bit boring, but hey, you got to know it for the exam.

Then we go into external antennas, antenna types cabling and connectors and the various scenarios associated with them. A lot of discussion around the uses for WIFI, pt. to pt. and pt. to multi-point.

The lecture block ended with 802.11 security types and amendments and then we dove back into the hands on labs. It was a long day but a good one!

Frequent Contributor II

CWNA Boot Camp via Global Knowledge - Day 3

Day three was interesting but a little brutal. A lot of technical mechanics of WLAN operation and channel access. We delved into areas like CSMA/CA, 802.11 channel access and arbitration. Also talked about PoE standards.

We then moved into mixed mode operations and then WLAN design. There was a big discussion of manually channel planning vs. auto channel sensing. It was pretty intense but a great discussion.

More great stuff, looking forward to day 4

Frequent Contributor II

Ok, so things got really busy and I didn't get around to posting about day 4 or 5. My apologies gang. But I had to drop by and say...

KA-POW! I just passed the CWNA exam!!!!!

New Contributor

Congrats!!!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: