Campus Switching and Routing

Contributor II

Re: Aruba Central and Stacking

It should be now supported since software release WB.16.04.0008:

"Management of 2920 stacks on Aruba Central

Besides enabling the stacking REST APIs, 16.04 also allows for 2920 stacks to be fully managed by Aruba Central.

Please refer to the Aruba Central release notes for information on availability on the feature. For more information, see the ArubaOS-Switch Management and

Configuration Guide for your switch."

Occasional Contributor I

As a warning, when you add any switches (stacked or otherwise) to Aruba Central, prepare to lose your VLAN port configurations.  That's what happened to us when adding single switches, though we haven't added any stacks yet.

Also, web management goes away, though you may have already expected that.

Contributor II

nathan.howe wrote:

As a warning, when you add any switches (stacked or otherwise) to Aruba Central, prepare to lose your VLAN port configurations.  That's what happened to us when adding single switches, though we haven't added any stacks yet.

Not to speak that ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for WB.16.04 (edition: September 2014) still reports that Aruba Central feature is not supported on (frontplane/backplane) Stacks

Documentation probably needs to be properly updated (and keep aligned with) about existing/removed restrictions.

Could it be that Aruba Central implementation for (frontplane/backplane) Stacking configurations is still in development (so there are bugs that need to be fixed)?

New Contributor

I went to implement VSF stacking with 2930F switches yesterday and got a message that stacking was not supported in Central still.  I was able to add 2920 stacks to Central but was hoping to clarify if the message I received about stacking not being supported was accurate?  If so is there a timeframe to extend this stacking support to other models besides the 2920?

Occasional Contributor I

Are you sure the firmware was current? There were changes to both the firmware and Aruba Central to enable stacking support.
New Contributor

Yes on both WC.16.04.0008 as well as WC.16.04.0009.

Contributor II

AFAIK (see here, last updated October, 12nd 2017, and here, at page 21, this guide is on Revision 01 29 September 2017 so fairly recent) Aruba Central and Switch Stacking is only referenced with regard to Aruba 2920 Switch Series in (backplane) stacking...this since WB.16.04.0008...no references there are about Aruba Central and other Switch series with different stacking approaches (VSF, as example, on Aruba 2930F or on Aruba 5400R zl2).

Release Notes about WC.16.04.0009 doesn't report anything relevant to Aruba Central and supposed new support to non Aruba 2920 Stacking (so for Aruba 2930F, 5400R zl2 or 2930M).

Hope not to be wrong.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: