Campus Switching and Routing

New Contributor

S3500 stacking verification

I have two S3500-48P switches, and one S3500-24P switch to stack together. In the past I have only stacked two switches, but what would be the correct method to stack three via the 10G SFP+ cables? The diagram in the manual shows four devices being stacked (see screenshot below), but how would that be modified for three? In my setup, the top switch will be primary.

Thank you for your time.

screenshot-www.arubanetworks.com-2017-04-06-14-06-45.png

AFK
Contributor I

Re: S3500 stacking verification

The way we do it is:

1. Cable from stack port 1 on the first switch to stack port 2 on the second switch.

2. Cable from stack port 1 on the second switch to stack port 2 on the third switch.

3. Cable from stack port 1 on the third switch to stack port 2 on the first switch.

This should give you a ring topology and should be resilient to cable or transceiver failure.

By default port 2 and 3 on the 10G modules in S3500 switches are defined as stack ports, but this can be modified in the configuration.

New Contributor

Thank you very much! With stacking them this way, will that automatically set my first switch to primary? Or will I need to pre-provision the stacking members in the configuration of my first switch?

AFK
Contributor I

I like to have control over my stacks, so I configure a stack-profile like this in CLI:

stack-profile
member-id 0 serial-number "xxxxxxx" role primary-capable
member-id 1 serial-number "yyyyyyy" role primary-capable

member-id 2 serial-number "zzzzzzz" role line-card
!

That way I control which switch is the primary and which is secondary.

New Contributor

Great, thank you! Since I am not that experienced yet in CLI, especially with Aruba, could I do the same via the web GUI in Configuration --> Stacking?

stacking.JPG

AFK
Contributor I

I've never done it through GUI myself, but it looks like the same parameters as the CLI commands I posted.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: