Campus Switching and Routing

Occasional Contributor I

Switches suddenly show up as 24 port stack ports?

This morning we found all of our wired ports are no longer working correctly.  All but one of our 48 port switches are suddenly showing up as 24 port with all ports as a stack (this isn't true though).  

Aruba TAC is saying they will have some ideas tomorrow but we need things working now...  Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas of what could be causing this?

stack.png

Aruba

Re: Switches suddenly show up as 24 port stack ports?

What's your case number? Have you already sent them the log files and such?

Best regards,

Madani

Occasional Contributor I

Case # 1442563 

Engineering reference id # 87531

Logs were uploaded to case # 1436804

Aruba

I'm reviewing...

Aruba Employee

Looks like there is an issue for the communication between Primary and other members. Based on the lags, stack ports looks OK. 

Looking in to the issue....

Aruba

It doesn't look like from the CLI outputs that the base ports have become stack ports so that may just be a glitch in the WebUI output, but clearly something has occured to the stack. Have you rebooted the stack? If so, how quickly does it get back into this state? One configuration change I would make with respect to stacking is setting the primary and secondary switch election priorities (member X election-priority 255 under stack-profile) where X is the member ID of the switches that should be primary and secondary.

Also, the logs show a lot of STP related events (flushing) which could be unrelated but if they are continual could be impacting overall health of the stack, we fixed an issue in STP in 7.2.2.1 which is available on the support page. I would also recommened enabling portfast on the access ports.

Best regards,

Madani

Occasional Contributor I

I rebooted one member, and after the reboot the switch comes back online quickly but the ports on the switch no longer show a link light (and nothing works on that switch now)

I'm very worried if we reboot the stack all of the switches will go to this state which would put us completely dead in the water (currently the APs that were on the switches still work) so our students have WiFi.

Occasional Contributor I

When you run "show interface brief" normally doesn't that show all of the non-stacking ports in the stack?  When I run it I only see it on the switch I'm connected to (the primary master).  

I've only worked on these switches for about a month now - so I'm still getting used to them.

Thank you for your help - already you have provided more input then TAC....

Aruba

Yes, it should be showing all the interfaces in the stack. The log file shows two interesting datapoints, the show inventory is only showing member 2 and the show interface is only showing ports on member 2. Essentially that member is looking like an Island however the show stacking members seems to be showing the other members.

When I first read the case, I thought there was no connectivity but I missed the reference to the APs still being active.

Are you consoled to the switch? If this was a healthy stack, you should be able to connect to the console of any switch and then it will re-direct you to the primary. Are you seeing that behavior?

Best regards,

Madani

Aruba

Also, I can make myself available this evening if we could reboot the stack. I do believe the stack will recover and if not, I can help rebuild it with you and make sure we encorporate some of the best practises I use.

Best regards,

Madani

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: