Campus Switching and Routing

New Contributor

VSF-config on 2930F and L2/L3 load balancing in VSF

I could not find the document to configure Aruba 2930F to run VSF function. Just found only 5400R. Another thing if using VSF, will L2/L3 load balacing (without VRRP) in 2930F benefit?

Thanks.

Aruba Employee

Re: VSF-config on 2930F and L2/L3 load balancing in VSF

Greetings!

VSF functionality was added to the 2930F in the WC.16.03 release; configuration instructions can be found in Chapter 30 of the Management and Configuration Guide for WC.16.03 (Page 598).

Load balancing across trunked links (e.g., a trunk distributed across a VSF fabric) is covered on page 139-140 of the same document; the switch supports load balancing based on L2/L3/L4 port information.

Matthew Fern | Technical Marketing Engineer, Campus Networking
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
New Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering how to enable VSF ring topology on three switches while using the link 1 and link 2 command.

when i try on 2 or 4 switches i encounter no issue, while using three, the topology ends up in chain only topology. i must be missing something, any help will be appreciated.

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks Wizil

Three switches in a ring is certainly a supported and recommended VSF topology for the 2930F. 

To confirm your configuration, a 'show vsf topology' and 'show vsf link detail' will display each member and the ports it is expecting to peer on. This output will also show whether each switchport has been successfully in an UP state, or unsuccessful DOWN state. 

If all ports are showing up, the 'show vsf' command should display a VSF Topology of Ring, and state of Active.

Lastly, make sure you haven't provisioned another switch as a 4th member of the 3-member VSF, which will show a 'missing' status in the 'show vsf' output.

Let us know how you go. 

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply David,

Yep, i have seen that three switches in VSF are supported as ring topologie but i could not get there for some reason, i got only chain.

To get more precision, i would like to undestand what link 1 and link 2 refer to, what role they are playing. Is it an obligation to get link 1 against link 1 between two members ? or link 1 against link 2 would be considered as good ?

I am asking this question since in documentation the links always form 1 to 1 and 2 against 2. i am wondering why.   

Occasional Contributor I

Hey Wizil

No, the links do not need to match between members. Link 1 will happily connect to Link 2 when you manually configure the switches. If it's Auto-VSF, I have noticed it will use the same link number. We might need to whack something in the doco to make this clear. 

VSF 3-Member v0.01.jpg

(admittidly) I only have two 2930F in my lab at the moment; I'll track down a third and test out auto-VSF with three switches in a ring topology to make sure it comes up without having to manually configure it. 

New Contributor

Hi David,

I am glad to annouce that the problem have been solved. I managed to manually cofigure the three switches topology under ring, since i am not a fan of automation. I actually compared the links to IRF logical ports since both solutions belong to the same house hold, after that, the solution made more sense. Effectively i would believe the doc should be adapted accordingly since we can easily think the VSF is configured by pair.

Thanks for your assistance.   

Occasional Contributor I

Great to hear. Lastly, adding a third member in a ring topology was as easy as provisioning the link ports in the existing 2 member VSF topology and adding my switch to the correct ports. 

Third switch automatically was added and my topology changed from a chain to a ring. The Link IDs, and shown below, do not need to match on both sides. 

Show VSF Topology.png

I hope that helps.

Cheers

David Grocke

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: