Campus Switching and Routing

Occasional Contributor II

VSF config on 5400

Kindly share VSF config between two 5400.

thanks

Re: VSF config on 5400

Kindly read the VSF Guide here.

Aruba Employee

I had a pair of 5406R switches with VSF running the network at the recent Atmosphere 16 ANZ even t on the Gold Coast in Australia.

Here are the relevant parts from that config:

vsf
   enable domain 1020301
   member 1
      type "J9850A" mac-address 40a8f0-9dee00
      priority 255
      link 1 1/A21
      link 1 name "I-Link1_1"
      exit
   member 2
      type "J9850A" mac-address 3ca82a-44ad00
      priority 128
      link 1 2/A21
      link 1 name "I-Link2_1"
      exit
   oobm-mad
  exit

oobm
   ip address dhcp-bootp
   vsf member 1
      ip address 10.30.31.1 255.255.255.0
      exit
   vsf member 2
      ip address 10.30.31.101 255.255.255.0
      exit
   exit

no allow-v2-modules

Notes:

• VSF link was a single 40Gb DAC (A21) - you should never have just 1, but I wanted to show off the 40Gb ports!
  • MAD was via the OOBM ports. You can directly connect these together with an ethernet cable when there are only 2 members in the stack; I had them connected via a ToR switch (the ProCurve 3800 in the picture)

FYI, you will also find answers to VSF questions and all things related to HPE networking (both ProCurve / E-Series / ProVision / ArubaOS-Switch and 3Com / H3C / A-Series / Comware) on the HPE support community pages https://community.hpe.com --> https://community.hpe.com/t5/Networking/ct-p/Networking

Richard Litchfield
Network Solution Architect, HPE Aruba

That's really interesting!

Especially the VSF with OOBM-MAD part (deployed as a direct port to port link or as an indirect link via another Switch, as you showed): the VSF with OOBM-MAD isn't included as an additional possible MAD configuration example on the actual edition of ArubaOS VSF Configuration Guide (only the VSF with LLDP-MAD case is detailed).

It would be nice to see VSF with OOBM-MAD example covered and explained there too.

Occasional Contributor I

Hi ,

Did you configure it for only 1 5406 switch?

thanks!

Aruba Employee

Once the pair of VSF switches are configured, there is only a single config - they are both part of the same virtual device.

After you have configured the VSF ports on the first switch, a second switch with factory default config will automatically join the VSF stack.
Richard Litchfield
Network Solution Architect, HPE Aruba
Occasional Contributor I

Hi

Can you clarify if the standby member can make a changes (like shutting down a port) ?

As I was testing the vsf ,console connection on a standby member, I tried to shutdown a port and it did.

P.S. I don't have a MAD setup here , is it recommended to implement that even though we have a 2 VSF links?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: