Campus Switching and Routing

Occasional Contributor II

lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

[ Edited ]

I have an Aruba 7210 Mobility Controller and an Aruba AP-224 wifi access point that has a mgmt IP of 10.1.99.101/24.  The HP Procurve switchport connected to the wifi AP-224 is untagged vlan 99 (mgmt) only.  There are no other vlans tagged on the HP switchport.  I have several wifi SSIDs associated with different vlans (vlan 4 for public wifi, vlan 7 for employees, etc).  One problem I am having is the HP switch connected to the AP-224 is reporting this error multiple times per day in the switch syslog:

00828 lldp: PVID mismatch on port B2(VID 99)with peer device
port ▒▒▒▒(VID unknown)

Everything is working fine on the wifi but my switch log is filling up with these errors.  For the time being I turned off LLDP on that one switchport but I was hoping to leave it on...anyone know the proper switchport configuration for an AP-224 that talks to a 7210 mobility controller?  should I only have untagged mgmt vlan?  Anything I can do on the Aruba side to make these errors stop?  Thanks.

Aruba

Re: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

I am curious to know how HP implements its support for LLDP.  What this is indicating to me is that HP knows it has a PVID (native/untagged/etc) VLAN ID of 99 on its port.  However, the AP doesn't have any VLAN configured so the VID field in the LLDP packet from the AP is "null".  Perhaps there is an LLDO setting you can tweak on AP ports?  

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos

Thanks.  Here's some options I have available on my HP Switch related to lldp.  Do you see anything that might work?  Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Aruba

Maybe look into the 802.1 options (802.1q specifically) or maybe Rx only

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos

Thanks, I'll check it out.  I'll post back if anything fixes it.  I appreciate your help.

[ Edited ]

disabling lldp on that port (lldp admin-status b2 disable) seemed to make the messages go away but I'm not sure if that broke anything else.  I'm not sure to what extent the Aruba AP needs/uses LLDP...Thanks again.

MVP

I had to do some reading about this one since I don't work with HPs, but it seems like this should only happen if VLAN 99 is not set to untagged on B2 and the AP is advertising PVID 99 in the LLDP frame.  Did you configure the "uplink-vlan" as 99 on the APs when you provisioned them?  Also, can you verify that B2 is set to untagged in VLAN 99?

The only thing I've found LLDP useful for is quickly identifying the AP names connected to switch ports.  The AP does not require the connected switch to support LLDP.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

This is a long standing issue with HP ProCurves. The only way I've been able to "fix" this is to disable LLDP on the switch and APs. 

Tim Cappalli | Aruba ClearPass TME
@timcappalli | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480 / ACEAP / CWSP
MVP

LLDP is also used for power negotiation (specifically the issue arises with the 270 series usually since it requires 802.3at)
ACDX #419 | ACMP |
Frequent Contributor II

I have found with HP Switch and a 275, that I need the HP switch port configged as:

interface 1
   name "AP name"
   power-over-ethernet critical
   poe-allocate-by value
   poe-value 26
   speed-duplex auto-1000
   exit

And then turn off LLDP (LLDP admin-status 1 disable).

The HP POE negotiation with the 275 seems wonky, so this forces the matter.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: