Cloud Managed Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Aruba Central Managing Switches

I have a customer that has purchased Aruba Central for their IAP and Switch management.  The client has over 50 switches already configured throughout multiple locations with a lot fo routing and vlans in place already. I am trying to get some of these switches into aruba central and have added them into Central and provisioned the license as well.  After struggling to get the switches to show up in Central I conntacted support.  They informed me that I would have to DEFAULT the switches to get them to pull into Central. I was shocked by this.  Is this accurate?

Re: Aruba Central Managing Switches

This is accurate as of today.

http://help.central.arubanetworks.com/latest/documentation/online_help/content/applications/network%20management/switch_configuration/provisioning%20switches.htm?Highlight=switch

"During Zero Touch Provisioning, the Aruba Switches can join Central only if they are running the factory default configuration, and have a valid IP address and DNS settings from a DHCP server."

However a workflow of onboarding switches on non default config is in works. No ETA yet with me.

Occasional Contributor II

Is there a procedure yet that allows pre configured switches to be implemented into Central? 

New Contributor

Do we still have to default switches to enroll them into Aruba Central or can we adopt pre-configured switches and maintain the config now?

Hi mannvishal and guys,

My case is the same, I have many switches already configured and I have to integrate them with Aruba Central. If I have to revert them to factory default will be a pain in the neck, but I can do it because the network is not in production yet. But the problem is I don't know how to integrate them to Aruba Central even with factory default config since they are connected like this way:

switches_acentral.jpg

I have to configure the core switch at least with one IP to reach the Internet (and also with a non-default VLAN better), so it will not be factory default. Also, I have to make some configurations to the access switches to reach the Internet, then again they will not have the factory default configuration. How can I integrate these switches to Aruba Central then?

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted

This thread is a bit old but it's the #1 hit on Google for "aruba central manage switches" so I thought it would be useful to update.

I can confirm that you no longer need to reset switches to factory default in order to add them to Central.  Not sure which software version is required on the switches but I'm running 16.05 on some 2930Fs and was able to take an already-configured switch and put it in Central.  Key was setting up DNS servers so that the switch could find "device.arubanetworks.com".  Once I configured DNS servers, "show activate provision" started working, and then I was able to do "activate provision force" and that got the switch to talk to Activate.  After that, they showed up in my Central account and I was able to import.

I'm just a poor security guy so unfortunately can't provide much more detail - I am figuring this out as I go along. :)

---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy

Hi Jon,

That's a very good news and will save tons of work. I will try with my 2930F switches as well. When you say "I was able to import." do you mean you imported the switch configuration to Aruba Central? Because I have had some problems when adding some APs with existing configuration to Aruba Central.

Regards,

Julián

Hi Jon,

Is there any possibility to push a blank configuration to your switch if you try to add it to Central with existing configuration? Or is there any option to import the configuration?

Regards,

Julián 

Contributor I

i am about to find that... i am about to migrate two 2930F to 3810M...

i will import the configs from the first ones to the seconds...and after that, i´ll try to import to aruba central. 

i have concerns because this message

"CLI Snippets should be used to push configuration not available in UI. Configuration pushed via CLI Snippets will be overridden by values mentioned in UI"

i expect two things, UI settings are blank, and the switch will be blanked 

if this haapen, i will push the config via CLI snippets. if the switch will be blanked i will surrender with doing any management  with aruba central.

it will doesnt work for any complex config. only for a bulks configs for a bunch of same switches at access layer or remote sites.

i will keep you informed.

Hi man,

Good luck and let us know!

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: