Command of the Day

Guru Elite

COTD: Check the md5 sum of an image before installing

We all download upgrades and software patches every now and again. There are times when the patch or upgrade, when downloaded, is corrupt in some way. There are a number of reasons for this, which I won't go into.

Your Aruba controller will check this and report that the integrity check on this file has failed, when you try to upload. What if you wanted to check to just to avoid the hassle of that upload failing over that wan link, or installing after downloading that Airwave 350mb patch? That is where the md5 sum checksum comes into play. Every release of ArubaOS 5.0 (and Airwave) have an md5 sum that is calculated and displayed on the website. In ArubaOS it is in a file called "md5sum.txt" that is in the folder of the files you download. You can run an md5 sum against your downloaded file on your local computer and compare it against the md5sum on the website to ensure you will not be stranded with a bad copy of code.

For MAC OSX, and Linux you can run an md5 check by just typing "md5 " in ther terminal for the file you downloaded. For Windows, you can just run a search for "Microsoft Windows md5 checksum" and there are a number of utilities that you download that will check this.

This was written courtesy of the guy who had 10 people try to troubleshoot why his Airwave ISO would fail halfway through the install time after time.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: COTD: Check the md5 sum of an image before installing

Great tip. When I provide software or disk images for Mac I always run the command as follows:

macosx$ md5 softwareimage.dmg > softwareimage.dmg.md5

Which creates a text file that has the checksum.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: