Command of the Day

Guru Elite

COTD: How to customize the Captive Portal

How to customize your captive portal.

The Aruba Captive portal has a decent built-in system to upload a jpeg, some text, and even change your background. When you want to construct your own custom page, however, the built-in tools are not enough. Let's take a look at the minimum necessary to construct your own Captive portal page from scratch. If you currently have an existing page and you want to migrate it to your Aruba controller, you can also insert the HTML displayed here into that page, to give it the same look and feel.

To put this together, you will need your own already working Aruba Captive portal WLAN that is authenticating usernames and passwords correctly. We will then upload html to replace that page. The basic html for such a page is below: Copy and paste it into notepad and save it with a .html extension:

Aruba Hotel

Aruba Hotel

For Reservations call

in the US: (212) 575-2226

in the UK: (020) 7451-5180

www.arubahotel.com

Please
Enter Username and Password

The code above basically displays information for a fictitious Aruba hotel. It displays two input boxes for a username and password and a submit button. Here is what the html does, line by line:

Please
Enter Username and Password
- Create a form post method; disable autocompletion of usernames or passwords and prepare to submit the data to the controller's auth engine at /auth/index.html/u. Display "Enter Username and Password"

- Create an input box named "user" that is easily accessible on the webpage by typing "ctrl-u" with a width of 20 and an initial value of nothing.  This is what we will use to submit our username

- Create an input box named "password" that is easily accessible on the webpage by typing "ctrl-p" with a width of 20 and an initial value of nothing.  This is what we will use to submit our password.

- Our Submit button, with a title or Value of submit.

Here is a screenshot of what the html page will look like when displayed in the client browser:

To get this page into the Aruba controller, open the controller's GUI and go to Configuration> Management> Captive Portal. Click on the upload tab and switch the profile drop down to the Captive Portal profile that you have already configured. Change the "Page Type" drop down to "Captive Portal Login (top level)". Click on Browse to browse to the HTML that we saved earlier, and then click on apply to upload the page. This will upload the page and set the client Login Landing page to what we uploaded. To change back to factory default later, you can click on the "Revert to factory default settings" checkbox and click on apply.

To get a quick preview, or check our page, click on the "Customize" tab, change the profile dropdown to your captive portal and then click on the blue "View Captive Portal" hyperlink to see your page as it will be displayed to the client browser. You should see your HTML page like your clients would see it. If you are already broadcasting that SSID you should be able to associate a client, put in your username and password and authenticate.

***This writeup was written based on the Internal Captive Portal section of the ArubaOS 6.x user manual
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks

thanks alot this code should help , but i want to ask u about the username and password boxes , would they point to the username and password saved in the Database ?

2nd if i want to add an HTML page that has jpg ans css files does anyone knows how to do it ?

as i can successfully add the HTML alone without the linked jpg.

please help
Guru Elite

Re: COTD: How to customize the Captive Portal

thanks alot this code should help , but i want to ask u about the username and password boxes , would they point to the username and password saved in the Database ?

2nd if i want to add an HTML page that has jpg ans css files does anyone knows how to do it ?

as i can successfully add the HTML alone without the linked jpg.

please help

Yes, they point to the username and password saved in the Database, or if you have the server group for that Captive Portal authentication profile pointed at another server, it can authenticate to that, as well.

If you want to add html with jpeg and CSS, you upload just like you did before, but the dropdown must say "Content - Top Level". You can reference those jpegs and css as you would any other content that is on the same folder.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: