Command of the Day

Guru Elite

COTD: clear gap-db - access point housekeeping

By default, any AP that has booted to a controller creates an entry on that controller and the master controller's database, forever. If that AP is no longer in your system, it still shows up in the AP Down number on the master and local controller. Sometimes APs are replaced, and the replaced AP will remain as "Down" . When you replace an AP with another AP of the same name, the controller will have a record of the previous AP with the same name, and will not allow the second AP to function; it will have an "I", meaning inactive next to it. The clear gap-db command is to erase the record of the first AP or any AP that is no longer in your system that you don't want to be bothered with. You can clear AP by AP-name, wired mac address, or you can even clear entries for an entire controller (LMS):

(M3.arubanetworks.com) #clear gap-db ?
ap-name AP name
lms Clear all APs associated with an LMS
wired-mac AP wired MAC address

The great part about this command is if you run it for APs that are currently up, they will immediately create their records in the database;no harm, no foul. So, if you have a whole bunch of APs that are no longer in your system and they are still counted in that "Down" number, run this command:

where 10.16.46.5 is the controller your APs terminate. It will remove all the down APs and only have records for the ones that are still up. The AP down total will be reset to 0, and you start from scratch.

One thing to note; access points who are terminating on the Aruba Controller, BUT who's radios are disabled via configuration, will continue to show as "Down"
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor I

Applies also locally to locals?

So if you run it on local controllers, then that entry is erased locally, right? Assuming this command applies when there are "downs" left when moving an AP from a local controller into another local controller, of course.
Guru Elite

yes

yes
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor II

Gap-db

I thought gap-db was only on the master controller. Am I mistaken?

Bruce Osborne
Liberty University
Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer
ACCP
Contributor I

Re: COTD: clear gap-db - access point housekeeping

This command must be run on the active master.
Regular Contributor I

Is there a similar command to clear/purge air monitors? I've tried checking the box and clearing the entry, yet they still show up as down.
Guru Elite

It should be the same thing.
Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: