Command of the Day

Guru Elite

COTD: controller-ip (ArubaOS 3.4)

Today's command is "controller-ip". In ArubaOS 3.3.x and before, if you wanted the management IP address to be anything but the VLAN1 address, you would have to add a loopback address to that VLAN to force the controller's management IP to be on that VLAN. In ArubaOS 3.4 and above, using the "controller-ip" command, you can designate which VLAN interface on the controller is the controller's management IP address without adding a loopback address. You will have to reboot after you do this, however:
config t
controller-ip vlan x
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Occasional Contributor II

Re: COTD: controller-ip (ArubaOS 3.4)

Good info.

Is there anything we could possibly break by using controller-ip instead, or it really doesn't matter?

Frank
Guru Elite

controller-ip

Everything should be fine.

Your main concern is that your APs can ALWAYS reach the "controller ip". You can manage the controller on any ip address that is reachable on the controller, but APs are always redirected initially to the controller's IP when they discover a controller at bootup.
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
New Contributor

And Radius?

It looks like with version 3.4 I am unable to use loopback interface for NAS. It just doesn't allow me, ie. nothing happens when you try to set it to loopback address. It allows me to use controller ip instead. BTW I tried to set it from GUI and from CLI but no good.

I used: "ip radius source-interface loopback" but that did not do anything, the interface for radius did not change

Can you confirm? Konrad
Guru Elite

Looks fine to me:

It looks like with version 3.4 I am unable to use loopback interface for NAS. It just doesn't allow me, ie. nothing happens when you try to set it to loopback address. It allows me to use controller ip instead. BTW I tried to set it from GUI and from CLI but no good.

I used: "ip radius source-interface loopback" but that did not do anything, the interface for radius did not change

Can you confirm? Konrad

Looks fine to me:
(Aruba800-4) (config) #ip radius source-interface loopback
(Aruba800-4) (config) #show ip radius source-interface

Radius client source IP address = 1.1.1.2

(Aruba800-4) (config) #show ip interface brief

Interface IP Address / IP Netmask Admin Protocol
vlan 1 192.168.15.3 / 255.255.255.0 up up
vlan 4000 1.1.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 up up
vlan 10 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 up up
vlan 930 172.16.93.1 / 255.255.255.0 up down
vlan 101 unassigned / unassigned up down
vlan 3000 unassigned / unassigned up down
vlan 1010 unassigned / unassigned up down
loopback 1.1.1.2 / 255.255.255.255 up up

DHCP is enabled on VLAN 10

Colin Joseph

selecting loopback

Konrad-

To select the loopback address in 3.4.1 as the source interface, you must set the controller-ip. I discovered that when developing the 3.4 course material. You might have missed that point when I mentioned it in our T3 session.

Kevin
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: