Community Expert Day 1/17/14

New Contributor

Clarification on 802.11ac Wave 1 client side chipset support for MU-MIMO

Hello,

First, thank you for creating the excellent whitepaper 802.11ac In-Depth. I found it extremely useful and very well written. 

My question is around a statement made on the Aruba post here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/What-Wave-of-802-11ac-is-Right-for-You/ba-p/124739

In particular the block of text reads:

"The one catch with MU-MIMO is that it will require new client hardware since both the AP and client need to be designed with the MU-MIMO capability. Therefore it will take until 2016, after the Wave 2 chipsets appear, for clients to become pervasive and be able to leverage the benefits of MU-MIMO."

Would it be possible to elaborate / clarify this statement as it is quite signicant on the Wait for Wave 2 vs. Deploy Wave 1 today decision?

Based on the Aruba 802.11ac In-Depth whitepaper, it would appear the Wi-Fi alliance will have another certification round for Wave 2 devices. I am not sure exactly what they plan on making mandatory vs. the IEEE 802.11ac standard.

Does the statement above mean that all the currently shipping 802.11ac client side hardware/chipsets will not be able to support MU-MIMO when the functionality ships on the AP or that they may have the functionality today but it is not part of the Wi-Fi Alliance 802.11ac Wave 1 certification efforts so it is an unknown if it will work? There is a Twitter thread on this topic here: https://twitter.com/80211Alan/status/415127891387899904.

Based on what I could find online, it appears the client side 802.11ac device would have to support the following functionality for MU-MIMO support:

Chapter 4. Beamforming in 802.11ac

http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000001739/ch04.html

"Because 802.11ac beamforming is based on explicit channel measurements, both the transmitter and the receiver must support it."

Thanks!

---

802.11ac In-Depth: Statement of Wi-Fi Alliance Certification Wave 1 / Wave 2

PDF Page 45:

"The Wi-Fi Alliance is under-reported in this paper because its work takes place a little later than the IEEE, selecting
parts of the standard and developing from them an interoperability certification.

But it plays a crucial role, as developers will build equipment to the eventual Wi-Fi Alliance certification rather than 

the IEEE standard. In the same way as 802.11n certification rolled out in two phases, 802.11ac will generate at least
two Wi-Fi Alliance certifications over time."

802.11ac In-Depth

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/WP_80211acInDepth.pdf

Aruba Employee

Re: Clarification on 802.11ac Wave 1 client side chipset support for MU-MIMO

We will check and get back to you...

Aruba Employee

Per our Product Team, the currently shipping 802.11ac hardware will not support MU-MIMO. The chipset solution in our 11ac APs does not contain the logic/circuitry necessary to support MU MIMO.

This is the case for all solutions from all vendors in the Wi-Fi industry.

New hardware based on wave 2 chipsets will be developed as they become available.

Regards,

Riyaz

[Please hit Kudos if my reply answers]

New Contributor

My question is on the 802.11ac client side, not the AP side.

Do currently shipping Wi-Fi certified 802.11ac clients have the capability to interoperate with MU-MIMO once the AP hardware is upgraded to 802.11ac Wave 2?
Aruba Employee

Acknowledged that.  As per discussion with Broadcom so far, existing client devices will not support MU MIMO.

Regards,

Riyaz

[Hit Kudos if you like my reply]

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: