Community Expert Day 1/17/14

Aruba Employee

Link Aggregation for AP 225 Uplinks

In 6.3 when AP 225 was introduced, it had 2 Ethernet ports and 2 radios - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. One enet port can act as uplink and one as downlink.

There was a challenge with this in design. AP 225 uplink.PNG

5Ghz can produce a traffic of up to 1.3 Gbps theoritically with 11ac. (Practically say around 800 Mbps) and 2.4Ghz can produce traffic of upto 450 Mbps. In total since it exceeds 1 Gbps practical throughput, Aruba introduced an option of LACP support on AP 225 from AOS 6.3.1.0.

LACP ap225.PNG

For this you need to configure LACP on the Ap's uplink switch. Below will be architecture of traffic flow.

LACP Arch.PNG

For this the only configuration that needs to be done is to configure a new parameter in the AP system profile called  "GRE stripping ip".

GRE strip.PNG

Whether AP's LACP has come up or not can be checked from the below troubleshooting command.

troubleshoot lacp.PNG

Once the LACP link comes up and the AP starts communicating with the controller, you should be able to see that GRE tunnels are being created to both the switch Ip address and the GRE stripping IP address we configured in the AP system profile.

datapath session.PNG

Thats all required to configure and troubleshoot AP 225 with a 2 Gbps uplink.

Thanks,
Abilash (ACCP, CWSP, CWAP, CWDP)
(Above answer is based on my knowledge and NOT an official statement from Aruba)
[Hit Kudos if my reply helps. ]
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Link Aggregation for AP 225 Uplinks

I see you setting the GRE stripping ip in the AP system profile, but what was that address that you used? (I don't see that address referenced anywhere).

I see the lms ip is .250, and the striping is set to .251, is .251 the loopback on the controller?

Thanks!

Aruba Employee

Gre-stripping is a new parameter introduced in under ap system-profile. Below is the only config you need to do. Thanks for making sure there is no confusion by asking this!

LACP config.PNG

Thanks,
(Above answer is based on my knowledge and NOT an official statement from Aruba)

ok, but where did you get that address for that parameter, what is on teh other end of that address? is it the controller, the ap, something else?

In my environment, where would I get teh correct address (or to what should I assign a new address for teh striping purpose)?

Thanks!

Aruba Employee

Controller will own both these addresses .250 & .251. Gre stripping IP address is given as a rule of thumb as controller ip address + 1.

Thanks,

thanks, 

where on the controller does this address get assigned (or is it only referenced in the ap system profile)?

Aruba Employee

Yes. Its just refered in the AP system profile. Controller listens on that IP address for GRE tunnels from Aps.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: