Controller Based WLANs

How do I perform a site survey using software?

Aruba Employee

Product and Software: This article applies to all Aruba controllers and ArubaOS versions.

The typical wireless passive survey methodology uses professional survey software utilities from companies such as AirMagnet and Ekahau to measure existing signal propagation within the designated coverage areas. The many varieties of building structures, designs, and materials can impact the RF signal. So, the survey tool effectively captures the "actual" RF signals that originate from the access points (APs). Aruba recommends that you perform passive surveys to confirm coverage after each facility is complete.

This example uses Ekahau Site Survey Pro:

1626_image001.jpg

To perform a passive survey:

1) Obtain the current electronic floor plan of the facility.

2) Use the site survey software application, walk through the coverage area, and sample the RF path every few feet.

3) Analyze the data to produce heat maps of the existing coverage and to look for sources of external interference.

4) Ensure that coverage exceeds the minimum targeted needs for the facility.

5) Ask an experienced WLAN engineer to assess the passive survey data to validate the choice of AP locations.

For more information, see these articles:

•  What kinds of site surveys can be performed?
  •  How do I perform an active site survey?
  •  How do I perform spectrum clearing site survey?
  •  What does Bluetooth phone interference look like?
  •  What does DECT phone interference look like?
  •  What does microwave oven interference look like?

For more information, see the "RF Site Surveys" chapter in the Retail Wireless Networks Validated Reference Design document.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-02-2014 06:58 AM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this a frequent problem?

Request an official Aruba knowledge base article to be written by our experts.