Controller Based WLANs

How does Over-the-air Fast BSS transition work in AOS version 6.3 ?

by on ‎07-01-2014 05:12 AM

This article applies to all the controllers running AOS version 6.3.0.0 or higher.

Two methods of Fast BSS transition can be used:

a.Over-the-Air Fast BSS Transition
            b.Over-the-DS Fast BSS Transition

Aruba only supports “Over-the-air Fast BSS Transition method.

How does Over-the-air Fast BSS transition works

802.11r enabled Access Points advertise this capability in Beacon and Probe response frames by including a Mobility Domain Information Element (MDIE).

1. During the initial association in the mobility domain, an 802.11r capable STA and AP perform the 802.11 authentication, followed by a FT re-association exchange that differs from 802.11 re-association exchange by including an MDIE and FTIE (Fast Transition Information Element) in the re-association exchange. The FTIE carries the R0KH-ID (R0 Key Holder ID) as well as the current access point's R1KH-ID (R1 Key Holder ID).
  2. After successful 802.11X authentication, the AP and STA engage in a Fast Transition (FT) four-way handshake that differs from the 802.11i handshake by carrying extra MDIE and FTIE components, needed for the derivation of PMK-R1s and PTKs.

The 802.11r amendment attempts to reduce latency by combining the 802.11 authentication and re-association frames with the 4-Way Handshake frames. So,the four key message frames are no more needed when the client roams, thus speeding up the roaming process.

rtaImage.png

Comments
MVP MVP

Hi Sumesh,

That's good stuff! I remember in the past that certain devices had issues when roaming with either 802.11i or k enabled. In your testing, is this feature compatible with a wide range of clients?

Thanks!

-Mike

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this a frequent problem?

Request an official Aruba knowledge base article to be written by our experts.