Introduction : Prior to AOS version 6.3, Radius Accounting was supported for clients connected to AP in tunnel and split-tunnel modes. With AOS version 184.108.40.206, Aruba now supports Radius accounting for clients connected to bridge mode SSIDs as well.
In OS version 6.3, we can now send the bridge user statistics in the Radius accounting start, stop and interim records.
As of AOS version 220.127.116.11, the AP should be in bridge mode and the operation mode should be Standard. Other operation modes like persistent, always and backup modes are not supported. Radius Accounting for bridge clients are supported only for wireless users.
Feature Notes : RADIUS accounting allows user activity and statistics to be reported from the controller to RADIUS servers.
RADIUS accounting works as follows:
- The controller generates an Accounting Start packet when a user logs in. The code field of transmitted RADIUS packet is set to 4 (Accounting-Request). Note that sensitive information, such user passwords, are not sent to the accounting server. The RADIUS server sends an acknowledgement of the packet.
- The controller sends an Accounting Stop packet when a user logs off; the packet information includes various statistics such as elapsed time, input and output bytes and packets. The RADIUS server sends an acknowledgement of the packet.
- If interim accounting is enabled, the controller sends updates at regular intervals. Each interim record includes cumulative user statistics, including received bytes and packets counters.
Configuration Steps : Through WebUI:
- Navigate to Configuration> Authentication> AAA Profile
- Click the desired AAA profile
- Enable “RADIUS Interim Accounting”
- Click “Apply” at the bottom.
v. Map this AAA profile in the desired bridge mode Virtual AP profile along with the SSID profile.
i. Enable Radius interim accounting in the AAA profile
ii. Configure the AAA profile in the desired bridge mode Virtual AP profile along with the SSID profile.
To disable the feature, use the command “no radius-interim-accounting”
AP sends accounting messages every 15 seconds to the controller. Controller sends the cumulative accounting statistics at configured intervals to the RADIUS server. The interval can be configured as below: