What can cause an AP or group of APs to be marked as "Inactive" with the "I" flag?

Aruba Employee

Product and Software: This article applies to all Aruba controllers that run ArubaOS 3.3.x and later.

Sometimes an AP or a group of APs in the 'show ap database' command output are marked "Inactive", which is indicated by the "I" flag. The "I" flag is enabled by these causes:

•  VLAN mapped in the Virtual-AP profile is missing or incorrect.
  •  AP group is unknown.
  •  AP name is duplicated.
  •  AP is not provisioned with external antenna gain.
  •  Both radios are disabled.
  •  No virtual APs are defined.
  •  Profile errors occur. The 'show profile-errors' command displays these errors.
  •  GRE is blocked at firewall after the AP is already up.
  •  AP appears "Inactive" while it is doing code upgrade. After the upgrade, status changes back to "Active".
  •  Conflicting configuration. Single radio, but dual-band AP. For example, AP System Profile RF Band says 11g, but VAP says 11a.
  •  RAP fails to move between VPN client, RAP_ROLE, and standard AP role.
  •  Controller has no ARP entry to respond to the AP.
  •  In very rare cases, authentication process crashes might cause high CPU load and would break the sync between AP and the controller. This results in an Inactive AP. Such crashes have been fixed in the latest versions of the code.

Sample output of the "show ap database" command that shows an Inactive AP:

(Aruba) #show ap database

Name Group AP Type IP Address Status Flags Switch IP

ap-121default 121 10.100.113.237 Up 26d:4h:20m:46s I 10.168.28.10

Flags: U = Unprovisioned; N = Duplicate name; G = No such group; L = UnlicensedR = Remote AP; I = Inactive; X = Maintenance Mode; P = PPPoE AP
S = RFprotect Sensor; d = Disconnected Sensor; H = Using 802.11n license
M = Mesh node; Y = Mesh Recovery

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-02-2014 06:55 AM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors
Search Airheads
cancel