Controller Based WLANs

Why does my browser display the "too many redirects" error when I try to load a custom captive portal page?

Aruba Employee

Default captive portal page works fine. Why does my browser display the "too many redirects" error when I try to load a custom captive portal page?

Environment Information : This article applied to all Aruba controllers and code versions.

1. Default captive portal page works fine.
2. Same role, custom captive portal page doesnt work and return the error on the user browser.
3. Captive portal works on the master controller but gives the error on the local controller.
3. In the controller CLI, issue this command:

(Aruba)# show datapath session table < ip address of the client >

We see that it has opened too many connections to the controller.

Check the captive portal profile. If it is using a non-default HTML page, relevant HTML files must be loaded in the controller. If the controller has no HTML file, then client will be stuck in an infinite loop of redirects.

NOTE: Sometimes we have configured everything on the master but forget to load the HTML components on the local controller. "write memory" on the master will push the config to the local but no the HTML files. These files need to be explicitly loaded on all the controllers.

Resolution : When using non-default HTML page, make sure it is uploaded on the controller.

Answer :

Always make sure that the HTML files for custom captive portal are loaded on all the controllers.
Only configuration is pushed to the local controller from the master controller and not the HTML files. If the files are absent, the end user gets "too many redirects".

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-11-2014 09:02 AM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this a frequent problem?

Request an official Aruba knowledge base article to be written by our experts.