Controller-less WLANs

How to configure Internal DHCP server in an Aruba Instant through Aruba Central.
  1. How it works
    1. When configuring a SSID profile, a VLAN needs to be specified.
    2. The VLAN can either be ‘Virtual controller assigned’ or ‘Network assigned’.
    3. For using the Internal DHCP server, VLAN has to be configured as Virtual controller assigned.
    4. Master acts as the DHCP server and also the gateway for the client.
    5. Traffic to the outside world is Source-Natted with the VC’s IP address.
    6. The default address pool size is 512 and the maximum size is 2048.
    7. DNS server and domain name can be configured for the internal DHCP pool.
    8. Lease time by default is 720 minutes and can be changed.

Environment : Instant Managed by Aruba Central and client using IAP for getting IP address.

1. While configuring an SSID profile, in the VLAN tab, choose ‘Virtual Controller Assigned”.
  2. The values of the Virtual controller assigned IP address pool can be verified through the GUI access of the VC. The GUI command for it is “AP internal DHCP status”.

*********************************************************************************************************
 8/27/2013 14:14:39 PM    Target: 00:24:6c:cb:a5:3f    Command: show dhcp-allocation
*********************************************************************************************************
---------------------/etc/dnsmasq.conf--------------------
listen-address=127.0.0.1
addn-hosts=/etc/ld_eth_hosts
addn-hosts=/etc/ld_ppp_hosts
dhcp-src=192.168.10.1
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-authoritative
filterwin2k
#magic-vlan
{
                        vlan-id=3333
                        dhcp-range=192.168.10.3,192.168.11.254,255.255.254.0,12h
                        dhcp-option=1,255.255.254.0
                        dhcp-option=3,192.168.10.1
                        dhcp-option=6,10.13.6.110,10.1.1.50,10.1.1.200
                        dhcp-option=15,arubanetworks.com
                        dhcp-option=54,192.168.10.1
}
---------------------/tmp/dnsmasq.leases------------------

To verify that a the network has been configured with virtual controller assigned VLAN, check under Configuration -> Networks -> VLAN.  

1. To Change the default built-in DHCP setting in the Virtual controller, goto Config -> System -> DHCP.
  2.  To validate if this change has taken effect on the Virtual Controller. Goto System and DHCP tab in the Virtual controller.

The modified VC assigned address pool can also be validated from the Support command in the IAP Virtual controller.

Instant configuration for Internal DHCP server can be pushed through Aruba Central as mentioned above.

1. Troubleshooting Internal DHCP issues

1. To check the clients connected to the IAP cluster, goto Monitoring -> Overview.
  2. To check the client details on IAP, goto More-> Support -> AP Client Table
  3. To check if the client is associated but has not got an IP address, check the Association table. That can be checked by the below command ‘AP Association Table’
  4. Information on the Internal DHCP can be obtained from ‘AP Internal DHCP Status’. That gives information on the current leases and machine info.
  5. To enable debugging for logging in ‘Aruba Central’, goto Configuration -> System -> Logging. Change level to ‘Debug’ for necessary fields. Once debugging is enabled for user, logs related to users are sent to Aruba central. This can be checked at Monitoring -> Event Log -> Description and type in the MAC address of the client trying to connect. 

Version History
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-17-2014 09:30 AM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors
Comments
marcbrunner

Dear Community

I don't understand the idea of how this is getting configured. I'm dealing with this for the last two days.

I want to set my own DHCP Configuration, but where?

Under Configuration -> Access Points -> System -> DHCP I can set a domain name and dns server, also lease time and network/mask. But it doesn't work the ip of the client is something like 172.31.... but i set it here to 10.1.10.0/24. Shouldn't I configure the default gw? And if I want to configure more than one guest wlan I am not able to configure two subnets? Sorry this is so confusing to me.

Greets

Marc

marcbrunner

I had a call with an expert. It's not possible so far. Aruba defines its own Network and it's not necessary to set your own subnets because all is getting natted through the VCs IP-Address.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this a frequent problem?

Request an official Aruba knowledge base article to be written by our experts.