Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

2 AP 105's - Issue

I am not sure what to make of this, the situation is as follows.  I have two AP 105's in two different subnets, one is for employees (vlan1) and the other for guests (vlan2).  I was told that I can't put the second AP on the same trunk as the first AP, since the native vlan must match the port vlan it is assigned.  So, since I have two different vlans I can't match the native vlan to both vlan1 and vlan2.  What I did was I have 3 cisco 2960 gigabit switches connected to an ISA570 and these switches are trunking vlans 1 & 12, so I just put the first AP in a vlan 1 port.  For the second AP I went ahead added two access ports in vlan2 on switch 3 where one port goes to the AP and the other the ISA570 firewall.  The issues I am having is some machines can't switch between the two AP's sometimes, it seems to connect, but I do not get an ip address or it will keep the ip address assigned from the first network.  I have my ISA570 handing out dhcp BTW.  I wish there was a way I could put my second AP trunked with the rest of my vlans, is this definitely not possible?

Oh and also, I have set the second AP set to 'default vlan', if I change the SSID to static vlan2, I don't get an ip address on my clients for this AP.  Doesn't make any sense to me at all since the port is in vlan2 for this AP.

Re: 2 AP 105's - Issue

Why are you trying to accomplish ?

Not sure if this what you are trying to achieve? :

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Very simple situation.  We have two Aruba 105's.   One is for employees (192.168.1.0/24)) and one for guests (192.168.25.0/24).  We don't want to be roaming, we have these AP's in standalone mode and are completely separate from one another.  I need best practices here on how to setup two of them, as I have been told and it seemed to give me issues, is that you cannot have two AP's on one trunk, because of the native vlan will be a mismatch on one of the AP's.  So, I have setup one that trunks through my switches with the rest of my vlans and the other AP that has two access ports setup where one goes to my AP and one goes to a separate port on my firewall, which in turn bypasses the two AP's on one trunk port issue I was having.  However, in this scenario it seems that there may be an issue with this setup, I am not sure.  I was doing testing connecting machines to one AP and then connecting to the other just to make sure both AP's were working and dhcp from my firewall is okay.  Some machines are fine most of the time, some machines can't switch between the two without having an issue where they either don't get an ip address when they go to connect to the second AP or it still shows the ip from the first network the first AP is connected to.   Really just trying to find the best way to set these up.

Where are you defining the DHCP pools for these ?

Does VLAN 2 exist on those switches ?

The native VLAN shouldn't matter if you are not trunking to the IAPs.

Do you have a trunk setup between the switche and the Firewall ? 

Thank you

Victor Fabian

So here is the setup, did a little diagram.  So vlan 2 for guest AP is only on switch 3.  Yes the switches are trunking to the ISA and the ISA port is set to trunk for vlan 1, which the first AP is connected.  The dhcp pools are being defined on the ISA, there are vlans setup and there are dhcp pools for each vlan.

ScreenShot011.gif

Anybody out there setup two AP's on different vlans?

Why don't you just trunk VLAN 2 back to the firewall / Switch 3 and setup a Native VLAN2 for that trunk  ?

What is your expectation when a user connecting to AP/VLAN1 disconnects and then associates to AP/VLAN2 ?

Is your problem that they can't get an IP at all when they do that ?

Having two APs with SSIDs in different segment shouldn't be an issue.

How do you have configured the Guest SSID ? Network assigned or VC assigned ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

I will try it again, but believe that gave me issues because the native vlan on the switch port was different for the second AP.  If native vlan doesn't matter and the second AP data can be tagged, then I guess the info I got was wrong.  Both vlans are network assigned.

If you configure the APs to be connected to an access port it shouldn't matter .

How do you have configure the wired settings on the IAP ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Your question above, I can't change the native vlan to vlan 2, because my data traffic is on vlan 1 (I don't want data network tagged) AND my first AP is on vlan 1 already.  

Not sure what you mean about the wired settings, they have static ip's outside of the dhcp pool.  

How do I configure the SSID's when it asks what the client vlan assignment should be?  Do I put static vlan 1 for first AP's SSID and static vlan 2 for the second AP's SSID? Or, set them both to defalut?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: