Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

Posted Mar 29, 2016 12:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an authentication problem and got a bit lost, here's what's going on:

I have about 20 access point deployed with instant, I manage them using Airwave. I tried to implement an Employee network today (WPA-2 Enterprise), in the Radius server I configured the NAS IPv4 with the IP of the virtual controller. The problem is that authentication only works when the user is under the VC, if I go to another floor for example I can't authenticate.

In the Radius event viewer I'm receiving a lot of errors from the other access points, like this one below:

Untitled picture.png

I did some research and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with certificates (I hate certificates), can someone enlight me with some knowledge? Do I have to go to my CA root and emit a certificate and install it in my airwave server? Should I create NAS entries in the Radius for my other access points as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: 802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2016 12:24 PM
    Do you have Dynamic Radius Proxy enabled in the VC?

• 3.  RE: 802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

Posted Mar 29, 2016 12:42 PM
    I don't think so, should I try enabling that?
    I just configured the radius with name/Ip/Shared key

• 4.  RE: 802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2016 12:52 PM
    Yes, you should enable that.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_
    files/Authentication/Dynamic%20Proxy%20RADIUS.htm

• 5.  RE: 802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

Posted Mar 29, 2016 01:19 PM

I managed to authenticate at another floor using my notebook after enabling it! Looks good, I'll check the Radius to see if the alerts have stopped.

• 6.  RE: 802.1x authentication only working with 1 AP

Posted Mar 29, 2016 04:30 PM

Worked like a charm, no more error in event viewer, thanks a lot!