Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 08:56 AM

Wonder if AP-325 and IAP-325 have the same hardware. It is just the firmware in the flash and the regulatory domain / manufacturing settings in the nvram that make them different? Anyone knows?

• 2.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 09:05 AM

Hi,

The hardware is the same. Firmware is the diference. This is why you can convert an IAP into a controller managed AP. 

Cheers

James

• 3.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 09:21 AM

That is what I guess. It is probably more than firmware. We have a few AP-325 and IAP-325. But we all know that you cannot convert an AP to an IAP.

Anyway, I did some tests on one AP. I did manage to install the IAP firmware to the AP using apboot but it complained about missing country code after booting into cli using show ap allowed-channels command.

I guess there must be some regulatory domain information stored in the nvram/eeprom. And there must be a way to program the country code / regulatory domain. Isn't that right?

• 4.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 09:24 AM

Ok, you're talking about hacking the IAP firmware on an AP and it's not working. That's obviously not supported and outside of my knowledge I'm afraid. 

Cheers

James

• 5.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 09:41 AM

Well, it was by accident. They got mixed up very easily. It was taken from a site that was closed recently. It will be nice if I could repurpose it in a lab environment. I even managed to boot into full access mode (root) but to no avail.

• 6.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

• 7.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:05 AM

I did try. It didn't work. My understanding is that the reset button is equivalent to factory_reset under apboot, which clears os on partition 0 and purges the env settings.

My wild guess is that there is an AP Type record and an Country Code record in the nvram. When bootstrapping, the IAP firmware checks the ap type first and if it is an IAP, it checks the country code.

• 8.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:08 AM

Correct.

• 9.  RE: AP-325 vs IAP-325 Hardware Difference?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:32 AM

Any how-to / guidance?