Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Integrated Beacon configuration

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 16, 2017 04:43 PM

Hi guys,

I have an IAP 325, which have an integrated beacon. I am trying to configure the beacon features through the Instant GUI interface but I can't see any options. Where can I find the beacon options?

Regards,

Julián

#LocationServices
    #ArubaBeacons
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2017 06:04 AM

Hi,

You don't do it through the Instant GUI. Here's a video showing how to configure a beacon.

• 3.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 08:31 AM

Hi Julian,

Are you looking to configure Beacons from Aiwave Server Groups>Instant config page? If YES, then we need to navigate to Groups>Instant config > services > RTLS section to configure Beacons

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 4.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 08:44 AM
      |   view attached

Settings which I provided in Airwave is use to push beacon managment settings to IAP.

If you want to configure beacon then you have to use Beacon APP. I have attached reference guide.

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:33 AM

Hi James and Pavan,

I read this from an Aruba Official document: "All 300, 310, 320, and 330 series APs come with built-in BLE beacons and beacon management capabilities to enable the location-based and mobile-engagement services", so I bought the IAP 325 and I didn't care about Airwave because the document stated the IAP 325 has beacon management capabilities. Also I have read the VDR document and seen the beacon can be configured through an app, but it only runs on iOS. My mobile is Android, so now I have to purchase Airwave to configure beacons?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:51 AM

Hi Julian,

Yes, IAP 325 have in built beacon feature, you dont need to buy any external USB or Battery beacons.

We have Beacon App for Andriod and IOS aswell to configure beacons.

You need Airwave only if you are managing IAPs throw Airwave and want to push meridian beacon managment settings.

We dont need Airwave to configure beacons.

Regards,

Pavan

• 7.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:57 AM

Julian,

correction, we have AppViewer App in both IOS/Andriod but not Aruba Beacon App. It is available only in IOS.

• 8.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2017 11:01 AM

Hi Pavan,

Well, I looked for Aruba beacon app in my Android phone but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link or something? And what about the IAP 325 beacon management capabilities?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 11:26 AM

Julian,

Aruba Beacon App avaiable only in IOS, I already sent post with correction couple of minutes back.

Capture.PNG

Regarding beacon managment capabilites,

If an access point with the USB beacon or AP 320 series access point is chosen, the APs will collect information from the battery powered beacons and relay this through an Aruba controller to the Meridian cloud server for management.

In the case of Aruba Instant APs, the instant AP will connect directly with the cloud server. Note that the only port required to be opened on your firewall is the outbound HTTPS to the Meridian cloud server.

Regards,

Pavan

• 10.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2017 11:36 AM

Hi Pavan,

Now everything is clear about configuration and management. Only one more question about beacons. I have read the datasheet for Aruba Battery-Powered Beacons and it doesn't include the radiation pattern. Can I assume it is omnidirecctional on the Azimuth and Elevation planes?

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 11:49 AM

Hi Julin,

I am not sure exactly but the Antenna patterns of the antenna in the BLE Beacon is roughly Omni-Directional in both a vertical and horizontal direction. This provides Beacon coverage for the device in both the vertical and horizontal directions.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 12.  RE: AP Integrated Beacon configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2017 12:04 PM

Many thanks Pavan.

Best Regards,

Julián