Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

Posted Feb 11, 2015 07:33 PM
      |   view attached

We're looking at adding 6 additional access points to a 17000sqft. ballroom for a total of 14 ap's. The goal is to support 50 clients per ap on 5ghz. For 2.4ghz looking at 250 users total for the space.

Do we need to go with directional antennas? (iap-224) or will the iap-225 / 135 work for this install?  ap's are currently mounted at a height of approx 14 - 16ft.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2015 08:49 PM

First things first:

If this is open space:

You should:

- Only use 20 mhz channels due to the density

- Consider having the 2.4ghz as air monitors for some of your access points.

- Have no more than 9 APs, because there are only 9 non-overlapping channels in the 5ghz

- Use an AP135 or 225 and if you can mount it on the ceiling (it is good for up to 40 feet or 12 meters).  No need for external access points

- Consider removing the lower rates on your SSIDs so that management and data traffic will consume less airtime (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/High-density-disable-low-data-rates-or-not/m-p/150890/highlight/true#M31991)

Access points propagate very, very well in open space.  If you have density and open space where access points can see each other, every access point you add that repeats a channel already being broadcast will simply decrease performance due to contention.

• 3.  RE: AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

Posted Feb 11, 2015 09:03 PM

thanks for your quick response Colin.

Only use 20 mhz channels due to the density

we are using 20mhz channels

- Consider having the 2.4ghz as air monitors for some of your access points.

we have 4 of them in monitor mode for 2.4ghz

- Have no more than 9 APs, because there are only 9 non-overlapping channels in the 5ghz

We are aiming for a device count of 50-60 devices per AP - doing the math it will take 14 aps   to support 700 devices in 5ghz - the ballroom has a 1200 person capacity. Is it a good idea to use or not to use DFS channels?

- Use an AP135 or 225 and if you can mount it on the ceiling (it is good for up to 40 feet or 12 meters).  No need for external access points

ap's are only at 14-16 feet so we are good there

- Consider removing the lower rates on your SSIDs so that management and data traffic will consume less airtime (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/High-density-disable-low-data-rates-or-not/m-p/150890/highlight/true#M31991)

Lower have been removed

• 4.  RE: AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

Posted Feb 11, 2015 09:07 PM
      |   view attached

I've adjusted the Transmit Rates, can the "basic" rates be adjusted in Instant?

• 5.  RE: AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2015 09:30 PM

The basic rates cannot be adjusted in instant.  You can increase the 5ghz rates all the way up to 24 to reduce utilization even further.   The same with 2.4ghz.  Start with 24 and test it out before deployment with 2.4ghz only and dual-band devices.

Associated clients and active clients are two different things.  Client traffic is very bursty, so you would be fine with that AP number, because not all clients will be transmitting at the same time.  Adding another access point will force you to reuse a channel and increase contention and utilization.  It might even cause a hidden node issue.

Very few mobile devices support or even scan on DFS channels, and the ones that do scan, only scan ocasionally.  Deploying DFS channels in an environment with devices you do not control might "waste" an access point, as a result.

• 6.  RE: AP placement in ballroom - do I need external antennas or can I use ipa-135 / iap-225

Posted Feb 16, 2015 06:07 PM

great, thanks for insight Colin