Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP124 as a standalone device?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP124 as a standalone device?

Posted Jan 14, 2014 10:41 AM

Not certain which section to post this in. I apologize if this is incorrect.

Guys, I have an ap124 and I've never used aruba AP's before. I am reading about the use of a controller for these devices. Is it possible to use this as a standalone AP for this small network? When I tried to log into the console port I get nothing at all from the device. Im not real certain but it appears to me as the devices are not designed to work without a controller? I've never had to use a controller for AP's before. Is this the case or am I misunderstanding how to configure this device?

Thanks,

Logan

• 2.  RE: AP124 as a standalone device?

Posted Jan 14, 2014 10:48 AM

An AP-124 is a controller-based AP and cannot run without one.

Aruba offers a controller-less platform called "InstantAP" (or IAP for short).

• 3.  RE: AP124 as a standalone device?

Posted Jan 14, 2014 12:36 PM

Sweet, thanks! Off to order a controller.

• 4.  RE: AP124 as a standalone device?

Posted Jan 14, 2014 12:44 PM

If this is a small deployment you might considder looking at replacing the AP-124 with an IAP.   An IAP-105, for example, has a list price of $695 USD compared to the smallest controller that is $1595 plus licenses.

The IAPs can run as a single stand-alone unit or be combined in a group / cluster with one IAP acting as the Master for the group.