Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

APIN0115: Devices dropping from WiFi for about 30 seconds

[ Edited ]

Hello I have been given the task to figure out why computers are disconnecting from the WiFi network after a period of time

We have 3 x APIN0115 access points (Latest Firmware installed) in the office, two in the main area and 1 near the meeting rooms

We are having issues with the one near the meeting rooms, when a user goes in to the room with a Surface Pro 4 they connect (but not all SP4's connect some don't get a DHCP IP address) to the WiFi and everything is fine, then after a period of time the connection drops for about 30 seconds and then starts to work again.

I just had the issue with a user about 30 mins ago, and the user had an IP address but could not connect to Citrix over the internet, is there a log file I can check to see what is happening?

I am using my MacBook Air on the WiFi network and I have zero issues with any of the access points

I did not set the access points up or do I have any idea how to administer them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Matt

Guru Elite

Re: APIN0115: Devices dropping from WiFi for about 30 seconds

Do you have any idea what is the firmware of the access points?  Type "show version" on the commandline.

Under each SSID and Advanced, Make sure broadcast filtering is on.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

Hi

Thanks for the reply, the firmware version is 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0_54915

I will enable the broadcast filtering now, what does this do?

Do I select "All" or "ARP" for the broadcast filtering option? (See screen attached)

Thanks 

Matt

Guru Elite

Broadcast Filtering keeps unwanted broadcasts from congesting wifi traffic.

You should use ARP for maximum effect.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

I have been watching these videos http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/aruba-instant/training/instant-training/

Should I enable Background Spectrum monitor on the IAPs to check for interferance on the channels the IAPs are broadcasting on?

My understanding is if I enable the "Monitor" option (see screenshot attached) the IAPs will still continue to provide Wireless Access to my users?

If I select the "spectrum" option the IAPs will not longer provide WiFi access since the IAP will be dedicated to Spectrum?

Also should the IAPs have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz running at the same time?

Thanks

Guru Elite

You can enable Hybrid Spectrum, which allows you to do spectrum and serve clients at the same time, but it might not say anything.  It is better to look at the channel utilization on each access point and see how high it is, because your problem could be a combination of wifi and non-wifi interference.

Colin Joseph

Whats the best way to check the channel utilization for each access point?

Guru Elite

When you click on Access Point, it will say channel utilization as a column in the list.

Colin Joseph

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help so far but I dont see the column?

Guru Elite

Click on the heading that says 3 access points:

Screenshot 2016-10-24 at 06.42.52.png

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: